Thread: Ak Hunting News: Game Board Limits Income for Nelchina Tier II Hunters

Arrow Ak Hunting News: Game Board Limits Income for Nelchina Tier II Hunters

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

The Alaska Board of Game has capped the income for Tier II Nelchina caribou and moose hunters at $51,460 beginning with the 2007 season according to the Anchorage Daily News.

From the article: "Those new rules are part of what hunters are calling an extraordinary decision by the Board of Game Friday that dramatically changes the state's most sought-after subsistence hunt. It also marks a shift in the way the state looks at subsistence, at least in this particular hunt, hunters said. The rules also apply to subsistence hunting for moose in the Nelchina area.
    The Game Board's decision is the first time in Alaska's history that access to a hunt has been tied directly to income, said Alaska Department of Fish and Game spokesman Bruce Bartley."
    Read the entire article in the Anchorage Daily News >>>

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

I don't think we've seen the end of this issue.

Default Nelchina based on income

Of course we havent, soon they will be issuing dip net permits, harvest tags and duck stamps based off of income! Chef

Default how does money have anything to do with it

as if you can buy moose and caribou?

that's why the argument from the " subsistence " crowd fails. they want us all to go to the store.
    and buy what?

Default lower income

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    as if you can buy moose and caribou?

that's why the argument from the " subsistence " crowd fails. they want us all to go to the store.
    and buy what?
    I guess the logic is that lower income means less money for food.
    So lower income people have a need to subsist on hunted food to stretch their dollar further on fuel, clothing, shelter and such.

Plus it sounds better than pulling the racism card N_A_T_I_V_E

jedi

Default I agree

I think a dollar figure makes the most sense. Some one pulling up in a new desiel truck, pulling a $50,000 fifthwheel toy hauler, with new four wheelers should not qualify for subsistence. If you go for a drive thru the area during hunting season you will see what I'm talking about, with a good amount of the people coming from Anchorage. The people with the least should come first and then any left over quota could be registration or drawing hunts. \

Terry

I havent hunted Nelchina but I do know that hunting your own meat isnt necessarily cheaper. Dipnetting is much cheaper than buying it in the store but Ive spent considerably more for carabou than it would cost to buy beef at safeway. Especially if you go to Indian Valley meats with any of it. (dang that sounds good right now)

Unless the animal is practally on the side of the road near your home, income based is kind of mute.