Thread: High skewed impeller

Default High skewed impeller

I've got a 2005 alumaweld powered by Merc 175 sportjet. I don't have a problem with the power, but...... Would a new 4 blade high skewed impeller just amaze me? I'm interested in fuel consumption. Is the cost worth any improvement in gallons per hour. Any thoughts appreciated.

I replaced the 3 blade with a high skew this spring. I have taken it out and immediately noticed that I launch out of the water much fast and seem to cruise slightly faster. I have not taken a long trip to see if gas mileage is better though. Overall, I think it is a good change.

On the topic of Hi-shew impellers we will have a 3 & 4 blade new Hi-skew impeller made out of a tougher duplex ss for testing and on the market soon. Also a new insertable posi-nozzle for the SJ enthusiast.

Claude:

Claude: Please elaborate on the insertable posi-nozzle. details on performance enhancement and price...

What is a posi nozzle ?

Quote Originally Posted by blw View Post
    What is a posi nozzle ?
    A insertable posi-nozzle is an internal knuckle style nozzle that will maintain positive water flow (solid stream) as the nozzle turns side to side. Where a stock nozzle is a diverter cone over top the end of a nozzle as it turns side to side it cuts off the direct flow deflecting it. Using a posi-nozzle will significantly increase a pumps output performance by changing out inserts. By inserting a 89mm insert will pressurize the pump decreasing impeller slippage gaining top end speed. Vise versa inserting a 96 mm gaining a better hole shot but losing a bit of top end speed. One nice feature having inserts you can fine tune the pump some perfer top end speed other's good hole shot with good mid range cruise rpm's. Also there is a noticeable increase with the pumps performance in tight turns no increase in rpm's to stay on plane. I am sure many have noticed abit of armstrong steering turning with a stock nozzle where a posi-nozzle will turn effortlessly like power steering.

Claude:

What will the price be and how hard to install. THanks Chris

I apologize for being off the topic of Hi-Shew impellers maybe I should of started a new thread. We are hoping to keep it about $690.00 and $69.00 per optional insert. As for installation it will bolt right in place of the existing nozzle and reverse bucket.

Claude:

do you have them in stock? do you have to replace the reverse bucket just to change out the nozzle?

Sorry I don't have our new duplex ss hi-skews impellers in stock they are in raw state being machined and fitted to the splined shaft. Hopefull will have them with the insertable posi-nozzles by mid to end of August. As for our new Exw insertable posi-nozzle (89 to 98mm) you can just change out the nozzle and use a stock reverse bucket or our Exw-Reverse everything will both bolt on.

Claude:

Just photos of our new duplex ss Hi-skews in finished state. We did a test comparison between a stock 4 blade to our new 3 blade Hi-skew in a SJ 175 pump/18ft boat.

Wot hole shot rpms ------ 5400 @ 44 mph no change between the two impellers.
    Hole shot std 4 blade ---- 6.5 seconds, 3 Blade Hi-skew ------ 5.0 seconds.
    Cruise @ 4000 rpms ----- Stock 4 blade ----- 21 mph, 3 blade Hi-skew ----- 25 mph.
    On step rpms std 4 blade ---- 3800/3700 ----- 3 Blade Hi-skew ------ 3400/3300.

More stat's to come on the new 4 blade Hi-skew trials.

Claude: