Thread: Floating Kasilof

Default Floating Kasilof

Just curious if anyone on here has floated the river from the bridge down. I am looking into it and was wondering where the take out is. Guys I have asked so far have told me I need a motor and the takeout is pretty far in the tidal water, is this true? Thanks for any input>

Larry

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Not True

If you put in at the highway there are other options for pulling out besides Kasilof Kabins down in tide water.The 1st pull out would be at Coho Cove.It's on the left bank about a mile or so below "People's Hole".Real nice folks there.

Here is a link to an old thread about Kasilof Kabins and their pull=out http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...silof-Drifters

A motor? Bull. Used to drift fish that chunk of river constantly. Nobody had a motor. Oars is all it took to get down to the lower pull out, but we used Coho Cove more often than not. Shorter drive when doing the trailer shuffle and the river below there wasn't much for fishing anyway.

It's been so long since I've been drifting... there was no such thing as a "chute". You just tied your boat off to your trailer and drug it up the bank to the parking lot. Then just winch it onto your trailer. Guess things have changed a bit since then. I'm sure they don't charge any more these days, right?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    A motor? Bull. Used to drift fish that chunk of river constantly. Nobody had a motor. Oars is all it took to get down to the lower pull out, but we used Coho Cove more often than not. Shorter drive when doing the trailer shuffle and the river below there wasn't much for fishing anyway.

It's been so long since I've been drifting... there was no such thing as a "chute". You just tied your boat off to your trailer and drug it up the bank to the parking lot. Then just winch it onto your trailer. Guess things have changed a bit since then. I'm sure they don't charge any more these days, right?
    Hmmm, well 90% of my fishing takes place in that water that isn't much for fishing

The ramp in use these days is over 2 miles further down than Trujillo's to which you are referring and if you hit on an incoming or with any north wind, you are going to have a LONG haul out of there. Yes, most boats now carry motors to traverse this section ... whcih is why there is a detailed listing of motor regs in the book these days.

Looks like Coho will no longer be an option next year except for those of us that live in the subdivision (changing hands and closing as a campground), so options will be far more limited down the road if all indications hold true.

Times are changing. Doesn't sound like it's for the better. Oh well, haven't had a drift boat in at least 8 years anyway. Just got way too crowded down there after the overwhelming Kenai regulations pushed so many folks off that river (like me).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Looks like Coho will no longer be an option next year except for those of us that live in the subdivision (changing hands and closing as a campground), so options will be far more limited down the road if all indications hold true

That is not good news at all.So much for progress,eh ?Have you heard any mention of Trujuillo's openig back up ? Last time I talked to them they seemed pretty tired of the whole rat-race.Will there be any other options open next year for take outs ?

Thanks for all the replies.

Here's a video I did this past week for my fishing column on Alaska Dispatch on the end of the first king run on the Kasilof. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Looks like Coho will no longer be an option next year except for those of us that live in the subdivision (changing hands and closing as a campground), so options will be far more limited down the road if all indications hold true

That is not good news at all.So much for progress,eh ?Have you heard any mention of Trujuillo's openig back up ? Last time I talked to them they seemed pretty tired of the whole rat-race.Will there be any other options open next year for take outs ?
    Not likely for next year ... the state is currently looking at 5-6 properties to eventually put a ramp in. prob is, to use state funding, it has to be powerboat accessible, so the logistics will far more intensive than just a simple slide of some form that we've used for so many years somewhere along the way in the lower river.

The state built a perfectly good boat launch at the mouth of the river about 3 decades ago. If they hadn't just rolled over when the native corp showed up to claim the land and boat launch for themselves, we'd still have a great public boat launch at the mouth.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!