Thread: IFR Ratings?

Default IFR Ratings?

How many of you have IFR ratings? I have the opportunity to get one at the right price (not free, but very cheap), so I am going to do it. Most of the ATP types I talk with say this is the number one to improve both your skills and your odds of survival when the weather comes down unexpectedly.

I have an ATP. I remember when I took my CFI checkride,my examiner, a great old gentleman by the name of Gene Morris highly recommended I get my CFII (instrument instructor) since he was on a campaign to get more instrument instuction happening. He said that having instrument ratings "takes pilots right out of the statistics". I don't remember how long a non-instument rated pilot is statistically given to live once he wanders into a cloud, but it's just a matter of seconds.

Of course, having an instument rating and purposely driving into the soup in a non-IFR airplane is like seeing using karate lessons as a reason to pick a fight.

If you're serious about instrument training, you can save a lot of dual hours by really concentrating every time you fly on precise control of heading and altitude.

Hope this helps.....Louis

Default AkSteve...

Very cool! Anytime you have an opportunity to get advanced training from a quality instructor you go for it! Do you have your private yet?

I have given quite a few intrument ratings over the years and hundreds of IFR checkrides (on the side and for the airline), and one thing I can tell you is that regardless of what kind of pilot you were before, you will change into a much more precise, skillful, and CAUTIOUS pilot overall. In fact, for a typical VFR driver in Alaska, instrument skills should prevent you from getting into the weather in the first place. The rating should make you much more respectful of the weather, the terrain, and Murphy's law. Single engine IFR as a standard PRACTICE, has it's place in Alaska, but IMHO, only in turbine powered equipment.

Personally, I have thousands of hard, IMC hours in every type of weather you can imagine up here, and Im not afraid to admit that I ALWAYS try every which way to get OUT of the soup whenever I can. Cant always though.

Use the rating as a tool, a knowledge tool. It is much more useful than a commercial license if you're not eventually fly for a living, and it will make you a better pilot overall!

Default $

Don't have the money to do it, but would love to. I have enough $ to stay current and fly monthly.

Tim

Default Yes Yes Yes

Of all the ratings I have, it is my instrument that I value the most. While I didnt pay for any of them (rated military pilot w/ civilian equivilent ratings of comm, ME, inst), it is the instrument that has proven most valuable on a daily basis and is the one that I count on when the stuff really hits the fan.

In my opinion, the instrument rating is what seperates the good pilots from the great ones...sorry if that offends anyone

The cloud deck's solid at 300' above the trees, the wind's blowing 40, it's raining hard, and it's getting dark. Moose camp's two ridges and one river away. Another 45 minutes forward, or about the same if I turn back. My Cub has minimum instrumentation to meet the TC requirements. If I had an instrument rating but hadn't been current in three years would I feel better about where I was at that moment, being a superior pilot and all?

Default I think....

not. You're describing a pure contact flying scenario. The only thing that MIGHT help you being instrument current in those conditions is an escape manuever to VMC on top or elsewhere. I purposely have only basic instrumentation in both my planes to avoid the temptation of inadvertant IMC. More guys buy it up here by trying to go Mexican IFR and run into mountains or auger in. I have known lots of them.

Good point. Looking at the appalling rate of 135 CFIT (controlled flight into terrain) accidents in the past, most of them happened to Instrument rated pilots in IFR equipped airplanes.....Louis

Default IFR Procedures

If you are not in the system & where you should be then you are responsible for terrain avoidance. You need to be at minimum safe altitude or you need to climb in a safe direction at Vx. If you are flying IFR & start out in the system you should not contact anything. If in the mountains you need to check take off procedures & climb rates as well as approaches & missed approaches. In your scenario Having an instrument rating might make you aware of just how bad a position you are in or you may feel like you can handle it & not hit tarafirma. I always fee much better at MSA in the clouds or even in VFR (I am in Arkansas & we have cell towers everywhere & some of the TV towers or over 2000' AGL).

Get an instrument rating. Many flight into the terrain are people cheating on the approach or not in the system & we don't know what they were doing. Getting stuck somewhere is the biggest reason for a Instrument rating here & dodging t-storms is the biggest problem. I have flown with Garmin 430, 530 & G-1000. Some of these were set up to receive ground Doppler radar about 5 minutes old & they work pretty darn good. Of course many other receiving systems work well also. In the lower 48 the radio can be your best friend I don't know about AK. I have been & always wanted to fly there some day.
    JH