Thread: Parkerizing

Default Parkerizing

Is their anyone in Alaska that does this?

Wild West Guns has it listed on their web site, but I'm not sure if they do it or send it out.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Wild West Guns has it listed on their web site, but I'm not sure if they do it or send it out.
    Thanks! I have a friend checking in Fairbanks. I need a quick turn around.

We parkerize in house and have a fast turnaround

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    We parkerize in house and have a fast turnaround
    Thanks, if I get into Anchorage in July, I will plan on bringing it along.

Hey Ken ;can you publish your prices,colors and turn around times.

Thanx/Joseph

Gray and various shades thereof depending on your metal. $220. Depends

Default Do it yourself

Parkerizing is pretty easy to do at home - much easier than hot bluing. I've done handguns in a stainless steel pot on the kitchen stove with excellent results. Temperature required is low- around 160 deg if I recall vs. near 300 deg for hot bluing. You do need to dust blast the surface if you want a true mat finish like military weapons.

Trick In AK will be to get the parkerizing solution. I've hear you can makle it from a phosphate based concrete cleaner with zinc desolved in it but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe a winter project?

I recently had a Rem. 700 that had had been parkerized and whoever did really did a first class job. Wish I knew who did the work - perhaps WWGs?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Somehow I shudder at the thought of SWMBO reacting to me parking on the kitchen stove. Goodbye. world.

I think I'll let WWG do it for me!!

i have two rifles parkerized....a ruger number one and a remington model 700. the results were just the matte finish i was looking for, and the surface area will hold oil for rust prevention. who hasn't seen old battle scarred parkerized rifles still in good condition ? it works for me.
    happy trails.
    jh

Default or outside

The actual parkerizing process is a snap - even my wife didn't complain! I used a deep stainless steel stock pot and left absolutely no signs I had even been there. No odor - nothing! Of course you can also do it in the garage or outdoors over a coleman stove - it is really quite simple.

Of course like any other finish the key is in the surface preparation although parkerizing will make defects less obvious as compared to a high gloss finish. Some sort of sand or dust blasing is need if you want a matt finish like the military firearms - I used a cheap Sears sandblaster outdoors for mine.

If you want a really tough finish paint the newly parkerized surface with an epoxy based paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Somehow I shudder at the thought of SWMBO reacting to me parking on the kitchen stove. Goodbye. world.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I used Ken Corcoran yrs. back on a 9.3x62 VZ24.....a fair job and inexpensive but.......I sent WWG my Mauser .458 WM to them this past spring for a park job and a fine job and a better job than Kens. Am considering getting a loaner aught six Rem park'd by them soon, I like a good parkerizing finish, not the toughest like the cerakote on a rifle here but I like it...did I say that already?

Ken; what about say a Ruger M77 with the aluminum floorplate and trigger guard?. What is the procedure/cost then.?

same if your aluminum is all beat to piss, we can paint it

Some would argue Duracoat is a better option and you can do your scope, plastic, Aluminum parts and wood the same or different colors....done right it is pretty darn tough stuff after it cures.