Thread: Unit 17 Moose in 2012

Default Unit 17 Moose in 2012

Hey all, I was just invited to join a group coming up from Nashville in Sept 2012 for a DIY Moose float hunt with High Adventure Air. The group had a member drop out due to being laid off and I am trying to get as much info as possible.That being said I have been reading the forum non-stop for 3 days and trying to learn as much as possible. You guys have a great site here and it appears lots of knowledge.I have searched and looked for info on on Unit 17 and High Adventure Air, but not having much luck. Do I have reason for concern? To be honest I am as excited about getting to tour your great state as I am about getting to hunt. However I want to make sure I am going to an area that isn't a complete gar hole and with a reputable company.Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated. I look forward to continue learning from you all over the next year as I prepare. I know I will have lots of questions.If necessary please PM me if you do not wish to reply to all.Thanks for letting me share your virtual campfire!

You might try reposting this in the hunting tread. You'll propably get more responses.

Good luck. I would suggest picking up Mike's Float Hunting book available from the book store on this site. It is a must read.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

We used High Adventure Air last year for a drop camp for moose. They get my recommendation. Tell Mark and Sue that Ken said hi.

Kenmack,Thanks for the reply and I will be sure to tell them hello. Any suggestions or tips from your trip? Something you absolutely must have or could have done without?Also I'd love to hear how your trip went.Thanks again,Daniel

I'll vouch for the decency of anyone named Daniel from Tennessee. Y'all go ahead and hook him up with some good information.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

tips? Hmm.

Tip #1: Bug head net.
    Tip #2: Bug head net.
    Tip #3: Spare bug head net.
    Tip #4: If earlier than rut, get high and glass below, or get high and call. Then wait.
    Tip #5: If in rut, call to brushy bogs and wait.
    Tip #6: Moose is heavy. Practice packing with heavy load.
    Tip #7: See #6.
    Tip #8: Days are long. Keep food prep short.

I got my moose after eight uneventful and uninspiring days. Then, I got it at the end of that day. I was calling across a brushy bog from atop a moraine on it's edge. Moose did not come from the bog. The next day, I nearly called one into camp but for my two friends still in their sleeping bags who would not believe me when I said a moose was coming to camp. They made too much noise and scared it off.