Thread: Juneau King Fishing

Default Juneau King Fishing

Is it just me or has it not been so good this year?

Certainly hasn't ben a productive year for me,so far; Mostly because I haven't had the right combination of available time,energy and money to get out there& fish as much as in the past few years. Same with most people I know.

The Juneau local area has pretty much a bust for most people I know too. Most managed to scrape up a couple but you had to put in a lot of time to manage that. I think between Taku and the Dipac hatchery, the low returns made condition difficult for any casual fisherman. Taku inlet was VERY slow most of the time, some people got into fish in Auke bay and Fritz cove (hatchery fish) but it was hit or miss, mostly miss.

I have even been watching Dipac fish ladder every day and have not seen one King in there. Chums started to show up. Weird that we are almost to July and Dipac/Fish creek hatchery run just hasn't seemed to show up. I have already chalked this year up to a fail.

On a side note, the Outside coast, Elfin cove area has been really hot this year. It picked up about a week or two after Memorial day and continues to be good. But you have to have a big boat, the time, good weather and be willing to pay 400+ in gas to get there and back. Lots of kings but mostly small. Hoepfully that means good fishing next year if the Commercial fishery doesn't slay them all with the opening on July 1.

Yeah, Kings weren't good this year. Was out this last weekend and pinks and chums are coming in.

Hit and miss. The fish showed in different places than the usual haunts, they showed a little later, and they were on different color combos than past years (at least for me). I put in a few hours up until last week, and did quite well - I averaged about 1 fish for every 90 minutes fished.

Quote Originally Posted by halibutk View Post
    On a side note, the Outside coast, Elfin cove area has been really hot this year. It picked up about a week or two after Memorial day and continues to be good. But you have to have a big boat, the time, good weather and be willing to pay 400+ in gas to get there and back. Lots of kings but mostly small. Hoepfully that means good fishing next year if the Commercial fishery doesn't slay them all with the opening on July 1.
    We had quick limits on kings (plus a few coho and pinks) for 3 days out at Deer Harbor last week. Yes, the fish were small; our biggest was 16#. We heard that a couple of the guides that had already put 50 - 100 fish in their boats this year hadn't broken 20# yet. Many of the fish I cleaned had milt or eggs, so I don't think this year's big counts will translate into a good season and/or big fish next year. I would expect at least some of these fish to be on their way to Taku, DIPAC, etc, and will show up there in a few weeks. We were skunked at Homeshore but caught 6 coho and 12 pinks at Pt Adolphus, so I expect that a bunch of thise fish will show up at Homeshore, Lizardhead, etc, pretty soon.

Big_E

Just going by my time spent at DIPAC, I'm not seeing lots of fish being caught and the ones I am seeing caught have been generally smaller in nature...