Thread: Volvo options

Default Volvo options

Just found out my engine in the boat I just bought needs rebuild or replace compression in 4 are at 110 the others between 130-140 , Had that in mind when I bought it . Now I need to figure out what to do next. Its an 85 Volvo 225 D ,Mech. said about 9000 that is using a manufactured block fron Volvo. Any ideas
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I volvo 225 should be a Chev 305. If it was me, i would get away from Volvo. You should be able to get a new motor for much less. I would call dewys marine I think they quoted me at 5500 for a new Marine Chev 350.

I never thought of going that route, I'm guessing the out drive would have to be changed out also ?

Shouldn`t need to change the drive...plenty of 350 powered rigs in front of Volvo 280 drives.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Not sure, there have been many modifications done on that setup over the years. I would bet you could keep everything you have besides the motor. Best bet is to take it into a mechanic (not a volvo mechanic) and get a quote for a new rebuild or motor. I have a volvo 255B, Its only a Chevy 350 Motor thats been marined by Volvo. I buy quality parts online for my motor that cost a fraction of what Volvo will charge me.

Yep its at a Volvo mech in Anchorage Who should I start with on phone calls ? I rather put a turn-key motor in it. He was looking at around 8-10 grand for rebuild and a that was using my old engine parts

I would personally start with Deweys Marine, Professional Marine, Odies marine. You probably wont get another Volvo engine, but you should be able to get another motor for much less. Hope your hunting goes well.

http://www.marineenginesales.com/marine_engines.php

Dont be scared to go this route either. You can order and ship up here. For about 2000 even. All you would need is to take it to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Longkj View Post
    I would personally start with Deweys Marine, Professional Marine, Odies marine. You probably wont get another Volvo engine, but you should be able to get another motor for much less. Hope your hunting goes well.
    Thanks I called Deweys they said they only do outboards, Odie gave me a price of 7,800 for everything. Anybody heard of Boat Works in Anchorage ? A few of the shops told me to give him a call but it was after hours.

i am doing the same thing right now i had new moter come apart from a batch of bad pistons that were new long story short my engine needed to be replaced after only 30 hours on a rebuild so i went with a marine long block 383 costs 2400 before shipping i am going to pick it up from the place in portland as i am driving up in any way and going though portland. not sure how your boat is for a moter hatch but i know that some older boats the new moter will be taller with fuel injection and stuff and like on mine the moter hatch would not close with the taller engine

Make sure it's a Marine Block, different I know but no sure where. Mine is running like a sewing machine put 90 miles on it over the 4th. Burned 28 gallons for 88 of those miles. 2800 rpm used 3 gallons a hour at 8 MPH

put a bracket and an outboard on the back with warranty!

Thanks guys bought a turn key package 350 Marine 6800 with labor

Roger
    Looks like I'm messing with mine too, blew out a head gasket I guess, started blowing steam out the PCV valve, not sure what happened, but here I go.

Ya'll know what BOAT stands for don't ya...Bring Out Another Thousand... lol. Good luck with all your referbs fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    Ya'll know what BOAT stands for don't ya...Bring Out Another Thousand... lol. Good luck with all your referbs fellas.
    I own an airboat so this ocean boat thing is chump change

Dan,

Well if you want to load your shrimp pots up on my boat mine will be sea worth Sept 10