Thread: lake for boat testing near Anchorage??

Default lake for boat testing near Anchorage??

Looking for a lake in the anchorage/eagle river area where i can do a test run with my boat. Small boat with a 10hp if that matters.
    thanks guys
    Griff

Sand lake if you can gain access to it. 10hp is below the max(50) hp limit for that lake. Fire lake may be an option also, I "think" motor boats are allowed up to 35hp max, not sure though. Finger lake in Wasilla has no max hp limit and has a public boat ramp.

Lower fire lake in Eagle River is good to 50hp, keep an eye out for float planes landing and taking off.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Lake Lucille, in Wasilla

My bathtub, just PM me for directions!!!! BTW, all of the above!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

If you have access to Elmendorf, you can go out to 6 mile lake for free. Head to the wildlife office on base for the permit and they will hook you up. I have done it many times...

So looks like Finger Lake is the closest to Anchorage with a boat ramp right? Looking to test an 18' with a 35HP... It doesn't get carried. Anyone know if there's a ramp at Portage Lake on the way to Whittier? Says there are no restrictions there.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFF View Post
    So looks like Finger Lake is the closest to Anchorage with a boat ramp right? Looking to test an 18' with a 35HP... It doesn't get carried. Anyone know if there's a ramp at Portage Lake on the way to Whittier? Says there are no restrictions there.
    Not sure about portage, but there are several nice lakes in the valley that one can use. Finger lake and Wasilla lake both have good ramps and aren't too terribly far from Anchorage. If you go to Wasilla lake, use the bar and grill ramp on the back side of the lake. They charge $10 to launch. Finger lake is pretty cut and dry as well, and they charge $10. The Wasilla lake ramp is usually pretty slow, lots of room, and they have really good parking etc.

good luck.
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

sand lake or lower fire lake. sand lake dont got no public boat launch tho