Thread: how long will this last?

Default how long will this last?

I can only hope it takes less time than it takes to read that caribou crap. This quote says it all;

"Many hunters don't like the new income limit, said Aaron Bloomquist, chair of Anchorage's Fish and Game Advisory Committee, which makes recommendations to the Game Board.

"They don't want a welfare system," he said. "And that's what the board created."

The reporter that wrote this up this morning cites the following;

"Many hunters say the old system was unfair, barring people in their mid-30s and younger who haven't had the chance to build experience in the hunt. They also complained that the application process encouraged people to lie to win a permit.

Board members said the hunt is not a true subsistence hunt, in which the hunters depend on caribou and moose to feed their families. Some people arrive at the hunting grounds in luxury motor homes towing massive swamp buggies that chew through tundra. Others fly aircraft to get near animals."

None of those are truely addressed in this ruling.

Here's how it worked until this ruling;

Permits were earned/won/gotten by those that had the longest traditional use by years, which by nature made them more likely to be older. As time goes by, these people drop off the higher end and are filled in at the lower end. Many are sons and daughters that went out with their parents. So, as time goes by, the current permitees will be replaced, you just have to put in your time to reach that sweet spot.

Typically as one ages, they move up the income ladder. They also are in a position to buy moter homes, trailers, pickem up trucks as well as airplanes, boats and god forbid, swamp buggies. I guess this is wrong.

Who's going to get these permits now? Welfare people, that's who. But wait, didn't they get them before?, yes, they did. Nothing changes there, so what have they accomplished? Is there something in this that opens it to a group that has been locked out? Not that I can see.

"As for the income limits, a hunter in a household with four or fewer people, with taxable household income greater than $51,640, will be disqualified from the scoring process."

From experience, I can tell you it takes more than $51k a year to raise a family of four. Throw in the permenant funds (taxable) and the only way you will qualify is to be on welfare.

So, Mr. Aaron Bloomquist is exactly correct in his statement, it's now a welfare hunt.

Welcome to the "Nelchina Caribou and Moose Welfare Hunt".

Kurt

Absolutely correct.

A couple making only $10.00 per hour in their respective positions will be out of luck.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

$10 an hour times 2080 hours a year is only $20,800.00 a year. So how does 2 people making a combined income of only $41,600 exceed the Income limit?

"As the number of people living in the household increases, so does the limit, Bartley said."

I can see it now, the new way to cheat to get into the hunt will be to claim extra people living in your household. Maybe some will decide to adopt to meet the criteria. Others might have chosen to become foster parents to qualify, except that would bring in more income also.

Seriously tho, my belief is that if hunting needs to be limited, the permits should go to the people living in the unit first before all these other mental gymnastics are applied to qualify for a hunt.

Default dumb decision

that's a bonehead decision if I ever heard of one.
    Ridiculous.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default Welfare?

All the tags will not go to those on welfare. Being in the military I just realized that about 60% of those who serve in Alaska will qualify, unless they change the rules. Even if you are in the military and a resident of another state, as long as you've been here 12 months you can apply for a tier 2 permit. Is that enough to stoke the fire? The system is still broken. It just has a band-aid on it now.

Default Something to think about

There is something I find interesting about this. People who have hunted the area for so long are claiming that it is in their families tradition, are the same ones who complain about a river here or there in bush Alaska being shut down to anyone but locals who have hunted it for many years in the past. If you claim that the system should stay the way it was because of tradition and years of hunting the same hunting grounds, then I don't want to hear you guys complain about areas in bush alaska being shut down to anyone except locals.

I am not saying the new system is any good, I think it stinks.

Default it will be amazing

to see the same people who claim they have more rights than others since they are "poor" suddenly cough up gas money, etc. to head to the denali highway and " camp out" for a month.
    it's certainly hopeful that palin fires whoever dreamed up this crap.

I might be wrong but I thought a trooper once told me if you live in the area and hunt on federal land the feds let you take 2 bou a year. Has anyone else heard this?

Default General/Tier I Moose

How or does any of this crap effect the Tier I/General Moose season? I can't imagine it will but the General season is a Tier I subsistence hunt.

Tim

Default This is crap

This is crap and is a "WELFARE" system. I find more people where I live who ARE DEPENDENT ON THE GOVT. way less likely to hunt. They are taken care of and "hunt" at the store. Funny how they complain about access with motorhomes, etc. when all they do is "DRIVE" the highway in their vehicle "hoping" an animal will be in the ditch for them to shoot, because they have no interest in "working" for the animal. This is CRAP! How many people dependent on the govt. are starving to death and looking malnourished? NONE! This is discrimination plain and simple. I hope this get taken to court ASAP!