Thread: Dm768

Default Dm768

A friend and I are heading up the Tanana from Nenana this fall moose hunting and wondering if anyone has any advice regarding river conditions. I'm not sure if we're going to stay on the Tanana river proper or head up the Totatlanika, Tatlanika, or Wood rivers. I have a Phantom 200 Sportjon so should be able to cover some ground if needed. Thanks.

I have not looked at the boundries for that permit this year, but be sure you know exactly which river/bank is open (the boundries have changed over the years). With your boat the Wood is only chance you have of going upstream, Tatlanika is airboat water(so I have never been able to go up it), the Totatlanika sometimes has enough water for an airboat, jet or even prop (on very high water years), but only for a short distance, there are 2 beaver dams, the second is substantial (8ft or so above water level), also tons of deadfall, very narrow,very shallow.

The Wood is skinny water, trickiest at the mouth, braided wide and thin (some years impassable by jet), beware silt bars on the Tanana below the mouth of the Wood when approaching. Take a good look up the mouth of the Wood and choose a route and be ready to make snap decisions when navigating it. If you make the first 1/2-3/4 miles of the Wood the rest is easier. It is very silty so visibility is near zero, understanding current is a best asset. There are particular sections which are tricky due shallows/shoals/bars/braids and require good water reading skills.

Have a way to get your boat off a bar if you park it unintentionaly and have a saw handy to cut of a tree that may be hanging over the water.

The Wood offers the best chance at a moose and is the only of those 3 choices you mentioned to get your boat upstream after the Tanana. As for the Tanana proper, it is straight forward boating, big, deep, fast and water depth changes quickly and noticably in all those streams, monitor your boat bowline and changing water depth daily or more. If you park along the Tanana be sure to take into account the high river banks, they slough regularly, and if your boat is under a section of bank that comes loose you can kiss your boat goodbye. Another consideration is overhanging/leaning trees and the floating battering rams.

Good luck and safe boating

Good info. Thanks.

I haven't hunted the wood river in 7 or 8 years but we would run up from Nenana. The last year we hunted it I remember a lot of native land signs posted on the side of the river that DM768 covers and US Army signs posted on the other. The Army was running patrols on the river and stopping at every camp on the north side to see if you had your Army land permit. We ran a 18 ft flat bottom boat w/ a 115 jet for 10 years or more and never had any issues getting through the mouth but, like 338 said be alert and ready to make quick turns. I would be curious to know about the land owner ship up there. It would be fun to go back some time.

This year the main channel of the tanana has shifted again... So as everyone else as warned watch the water. I used to like to drag a canoe along to get up some of the real skinny waterways in there. But, I have been lucky enough to draw moose tags in other areas the last few years so haven't been in there in September recently. And it used to be easy to drift back toward Nenana looking for moose on shore... Also seen quite a few Black bears.

Chris