Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practical Knives

Default Practical Knives

It's a good tool to have, but how much knife is too much? Too little? Rambo was too concerned about looks, and Victorinox isn't good for much more than carving your name in a tree. Where's the middle line? What's practical to carry, being good for everything you might need in a survival situation, without being too much? Any favorites?
    Χάρις υμίν καί είρήνη άπό θεου...

G. Blessing

G'day, My first post here ,

a traditional 4" trapper, and my 4" bladed nessmuk knife, one or the other or preferably both.

Of course, I have been known to cary a custom built 3.5" Victorinox; blade, saw, screwdrivers, pliers. Convexed edge on the blade, saw is handy for woods work, and I rarely needed more than the drivers and pliers on the truck if something went wrong. I carry a LM wave now mainly for the stronger pliers.

Hope I didn't pick a bad place to make a first post, but i'm gereraly comfortable with knife topics.(making knives is my hobby)

Gary.

usually have a Case trapper and a Gerber multi-tool. I have carried a trapper since i was old enough to carry a knife. i know there are probably better knives, but this type just suits me. I wouldn't trade my Gerber for anything. it is a great all around tool.

Default Gerber

Here are my 2 favs

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php...empage&xid=505

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php...empage&xid=362

I carry the para frame in my front pocket every day every where I go Unless flying commercial.

I work 50 yards from my house so if I am leaving home to go anywhere except work The gator is on my belt.

Woody

It's rare that I only take one knife with me in the outdooes. Usually I carry a gerber multi tool and a couple of fixed blades, plus an axe. The first fixed blade knife is a Helle 6" blade, the next is a 3" blade that snaps inside the handle of my Gerber compact axe. On top of the two blades that are in my multi two chances are four blades will do just about any job in front of me. I still need to find a small compact and rugged saw blade to carry though.

Quote Originally Posted by groh__frog View Post
    It's a good tool to have, but how much knife is too much? Too little? Rambo was too concerned about looks, and Victorinox isn't good for much more than carving your name in a tree. Where's the middle line? What's practical to carry, being good for everything you might need in a survival situation, without being too much? Any favorites?

Check this out http://trackertrail.com/trackerknife/index.html

I dont have 1 and would never carry just 1 knife and i dont care if it cooked supper ,washed dishes , flew recon and found women and bought the beer . Two thing's you should always keep in your pants pocket , knife , Fire .
    What kind dont matter . I've lost guns , 200 dollar knives , ( everything i had sept what was in my pockets twice . ) usually getting dumped in the water for whatever reason . What will save your life is what you have left . even a 3 1/2 " 20 dollar anything , is better than nothing. Put fire on top of that and not only can you get by , you can do it in comfort .
    Other than that , this is the age of the multi tool , never leave civalzation without 1 it is your tool box . If you dont wana pack and axe then ya'd need knife that could double for that ina pinch . I have a 10$ flea market bowie that ive been spliting kindlin with for 7 years and it'll take down any pole you might need pretty quik cuz of its weight .

Here are 2 that I carry especially when out hunting although the first one I carry most every day. They are Ken Onion designed by Kershaw, I am a little biased though as Ken is a friend of mine

Spec Bump
    http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=32

Outcast- This is strictly for taking in the woods strapped to my pack
    http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=32

Doug

Well I started thinking about how many knives I really carry. I looked in the Box on the front rack of my wheeler. I found 9 knives, A hatchet and a saw. I forgot that every day I also carry one of those folding locking utility razor knives. The ones with the aluminum handle that takes the replaceable utility knife blades.

http://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-WH58.../dp/B000BK4P9G

and in a sheath A Victrinox netting knife.

Default Knives

I would put my money on a cold steel SRK. It is a strong knife with a thick blade and holds a good edge. It is by far my favorite knife to go to when i'm out in the great outdoor woods. It is a hard core one. It is on the survival/tactical side but, with a price tag easy on the budget if you have access to Eielsons clothing sales. They are about $50 there. On the Cold Steel web site they are listed for $115. Happy hunting...http://www.coldsteel.com/38ck.html

Wombat,

Since you like the tactical style here is one for you.

Zero Tolerance ZT0100

I sent one recently to Brwnbr to put it through the paces this year in bear camp, although to big for many things we hunters need it is a great STRONG knife for the other projects.

Doug

Default DWH

That's a good looking knife. It carries a heavy price tag though. I think It would be a great addition the the family.

If you can find one they can be had for a fairly reasonable price all things considered, the knife is designed to last more than one life time for sure as are all the ZT knives.

THis is by far my favorite of the line the 0302, I use it quite a bit

Default Nice knife

Another nice knife! I'm going to have to pick that one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Another nice knife! I'm going to have to pick that one up.

I am not sure who the distributor is in Alaska right now but I can find out pretty easy, they should be very soon available in the AAFES system and at much less than what you have seen as the MSRP on the web.

Doug

Default Knives

Got lots of 'em of course. Partial to the Kershaws & Gerbers, but have Cutco's, Bucks and a custom knife or two. I carry a Kershaw survival knife in my bag: http://cutlerscove.com/survival-kniv...w-survival.htm and usually a Gator or EZ out on the belt or pocket....but, my favorite is the Ken Onion Kershaw, I use it the most.

SE Mike,

Ken Onion designed the knives above I posted and they are even tougher than his others, great stuff!

Doug

I don't hunt, so all I carry is a Leatherman Juice with all the gizmos. I mostly need it for the blade & saw. I've been thinking of picking up a Chris Reeve 1-piece survival knife with a small blade: http://www.chrisreeve.com/

I've been carrying a couple lately.

Firstly, having a knife that can do more than just cut string, etc. is important. I recently picked up a Ka-Bar bowie. Honestly, it's a little big for backpacking, but I've used it for chopping, digging, etc. Alongside that, I carry one of the older Columbia River knives, from before they started getting cheap. Seems like every good company goes cheap at some point. Even Ka-Bar is starting to make knives in Taiwan. I've got a leatherman that I take to work, but never really take it out hunting.

So how 'bout it? Is there good reason not to have a larger knife? I hear all of the time that "you don't want something that big..." about the larger sheath knives. Is there a good for it?

Default Wisdom

My graddad told me, "son the further from the road you get the bigger your knife and gun should be".
    If you only carry ONE knife it has to do everything; and mass-size makes it a better chopping tool. That's providing it is a GOOD knife to start with, junk is always junk. Larger knives are heavier and harder to carry, that's their biggest drawback.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast