Thread: Narrowed down my flies, lines...

Default Narrowed down my flies, lines...

I have read posts, looked at pictures and talked to a friend down in Charleston who guided up there for 7 seasons, trying to narrow down flies I need for my trip in August. I'm going with articulated black leeches, dolly llamas, egg sucking leeches and tan flesh flies. I will bring some other stuff I use here that seem to overlap, like bh prince nymphs and stone flies. I also decided on a Clouser line and a 10' DC sink tip for my 8wt, a 250gr Rio Striper line and probably another Clouser for my 6wt, and stay with just a floating line for my 4wt. I know I am limiting myself but I don't think my daughter is going to let me try 30 different offerings at every "stream stop". I have also narrowed those stops down to a couple on each segment of our drive, based mostly on the highway angler.

So, here is the "final" plan. Two or three nights at Montana Creek RV Park, depending on if we get in before the rv place closes, with one day on a shuttle bus tour of Denali. Drive over to my buddies place in Copper Center for two nights, who knows where he's going to take us, then down to Valdez for a night. Catch the ferry to Whittier and down to Homer for a night. Back to Seward for three nights, including a glacier tour and my hold-out day for a charter. That puts me close to Anchorage the morning I need to be "in line" to turn in my rv. Still trying to get my daughter to get on a float plane but no luck so far. My dad had a champ and a cub and I did a bunch of soaring but she is just not convinced it's fun. Still working on that...have to remember this trip is half for her.

Thoughts?
    Thanks.

man that seems like a lot of running around! Hope you have time to enjoy the stops to do make.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    man that seems like a lot of running around! Hope you have time to enjoy the stops to do make.
    I was thinking the same thing when I read this. People do mistake just how big Alaska is. Not much time for the fishing your coming here for. Good fly selection!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I was thinking the same thing when I read this. People do mistake just how big Alaska is. Not much time for the fishing your coming here for. Good fly selection!
    Packin in a lotta miles in a short time frame to be sure. Not intending any offense but have you inputted all those locations/itinerary into mapquest?

Here's a LINK based on the info you posted. 1,300 miles.

Doable for sure. Enjoyable? I very much hope so.
    Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously. ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Throw some beads in with your fly selection also
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Eggs. Flesh. I like leeches and always fish 'em. There are times when something different works too.
    But if I was coming all the way up here - and wanted to make the best of my opportunities - I'd fish egg and flesh patterns first.
    My best fish finder has been any leech (or flesh pattern) with a free running 8mm apricot swirl bead on the line as an attractor. I love bead attractors.
    Have fun. For silvers, think contrast... and pink. Sink tip handy sometimes, but ... on a busy trip - I'd skip it. It'll waste time.
    Learn to throw split shot when you need to get flies down. Belgian cast is effective - practice chunking the weight before you travel.
    Good luck.

It is a lot of running but no way to get around it on this trip. 1,204.95 miles by Mapquest. I have 4 days where we drive about 4 hours, which is not a bad travel day and should allow us a fair amount of time to enjoy the scenery. Denali will eat up a full day as will the day we are on the ferry...next trip will be different. The trip over to Copper Center is an extra but it's a chance to catch up with a old friend I haven't seen but once in the last 8 years. Besides, that part I'm writing of as a business expense.

Beads. It looks like you can have as many beads as the local gourmet jelly bean store has different jelly bean flavors. I guess now I will try the apricot bead as an attractor (thanks 6x). It looks like you peg it just above the leech but it has to be two inches or less from the knot? That's another thing that's large like the state...the fishing regulations.

The sink tip is a free line and it will be my seatrout prospecting line this fall. We catch a lot of trout under docklights at night but I have a thought the bigger females stay a little deeper and the smaller males are the ones slapping glass minnows on top. Still a lot of fun either way and when you hit it right, it's 40 or more fish a night. Last year there were three of us on my flats boat all flyfishing. Me on the poling platform, a friend in the middle and another on the front casting platform...and we only wadded up once.

I appreciate the comments.

Default ...or....

From: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....sc_sportfish:

"In flowing waters, beads fished ahead of flies, lures, or bare hooks must be fixed within 2 of the hook or be free to slide on the entire length of the line or leader".

Must be fixed OR free to slide...

Probly there's some reason to peg beads. But as an attractor - I find free-sliding works fine.

Don't forget raingear. And speaking of rain... a blown out stream can be a disappointment...fishing-wise, but I've never had the rain or slow fishing spoil the hike, or the company involved.

Have a great trip, man.