Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any silvers out of whittier yet?

Default Any silvers out of whittier yet?

ANY SILVERS OUT OF WHITTIER YET?
    We are headed out over the 4th of July weekend and would like to find some...

I hope someone has info on this. I am also looking for a place to fish this weekend.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I wouldn't expect to find silvers close to Whittier yet. There are a few beginning to show near Montegue, but I doubt you'd find them any closer than the south end of Knight. There should be a fair number of chums and pinks around the western part of PWS.

There should be silvers in the middle of the sound, might even be some around Culross/Decision point. I'd imagine you're a month or so early for getting silvers from shore in Whittier.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Headed to Montague this weekend so guess I'll be taking the trolling gear, sure would be nice to toss a couple of fresh Silvers in the box.

Rumor has it Jackpot bay is good Silver fishing, when does that usually happen?
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I was out west of Montague on a charter on Saturday and we go one silver and lost another...they are there. There are silvers out of Seward up around Pony cove as well if you wanted to go out of Seward.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

How long does the Silver salmon run last? I'm also a little unclear as to how many you can keep per day. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Headed to Montague this weekend so guess I'll be taking the trolling gear, sure would be nice to toss a couple of fresh Silvers in the box.

Rumor has it Jackpot bay is good Silver fishing, when does that usually happen?
    I think the southern end of Chenega (sp?) is a remote release point for the hatchery. You'd think that they would be hanging around there. Can't think of a nicer spot to look for a couple of Coho!! 21 fathom hole is one of my all time favorite anchorages.

We were out on the outside edge of Montague on Sunday halibut fishing, but my little son managed to catch 3 pinks and 1 silver and lost several others just mooching. They are around.

Quote Originally Posted by chilidip View Post
    How long does the Silver salmon run last? I'm also a little unclear as to how many you can keep per day. Thanks
    Depends on exactly which body of water you talking about. Roughly mid July to mid August for the salt water, but as you can see they start showing up late June, and they are still being taken late August to early September.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Limit depends on where you're fishing. Consult your regulations for that.

My favorite time to fish silvers is the last week of August/first week of Sept, but that's for near the terminal end of the runs. Not having a boat limits me to mainly shore fishing.

Anyone seeing / catching any silvers out of Whittier?
    I will be in Whittier for a shrimp charter in about three weeks (27th to be exact). While the pots soak we will be fishing for other things. Just wondering if silvers would be a possible target at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    Anyone seeing / catching any silvers out of Whittier?
    I will be in Whittier for a shrimp charter in about three weeks (27th to be exact). While the pots soak we will be fishing for other things. Just wondering if silvers would be a possible target at that time?
    I trolled a bit this weekend. Didn't go too far out. All I found were Humpys. Could have had a Coho on but...........
    I fished around Hidden Bay down to Crafton Island.

We picked up one Silver outside Copper Bay on our way up Knight Monday, made for a nice dinner. They are coming!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Went out over the 4th and caught 3 Silvers a Pink & 1 King, ( yes I know there are no Kings out of Whittier must of been another lost one) 2 nice Yellow Eye and a couple other Rock Fish, a few Shrimp. All within 12 to 18 miles of the Harbor.

Well in whitter can you fish from shore to catch any salmon?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanpogi View Post
    Well in whitter can you fish from shore to catch any salmon?
    Yes.

Pinks and silvers can both be caught pretty readily if you're there at the right time. The pinks come back to several small streams that drain into the end of Passage Canal near Whittier, and the silvers are a terminal fishery. There are several places to fish for them, but it all depends on where they are schooling. Salmon Run, Smitty's Cove, the harbor, the end of the bay, along the rocks by the road....I've caught them everywhere.

Default New Reports?

Anybody got any new fishing reports from Whittier? Silvers getting closer? Nice late afternoon tides this week, and I was thinking about going out.

We had no problem finding them out around northern Knight. Got our limit but had to fight through a lot of pinks.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    We had no problem finding them out around northern Knight. Got our limit but had to fight through a lot of pinks.
    Thanks Warrior!! I was hoping to stay closer to the North end of Culross. But any info is great!!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast