Thread: Sugg on pontoon boat?

Default Sugg on pontoon boat?

Looking to buy a few pontoon boats to float rivers like the kenai and gulkana, but can still float smallish creeks like the willow and lake creek. Whats a good brand/size to get that can fit a decent amout of gear and still is pretty light? Thanks
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I've been looking at getting a couple 1-man cats for my wife and I. Their main use would be for fishing on day trips. But I also wanted something that I would be comfortable doing lightweight 2-3 day trips in, on mild rivers (such as the Gulkana). I came across these in my search;

The 10' looks like it might work for my needs. I asked how the boats are constructed and they told me all the seams are fully welded instead of glued. They sell the 10' dual chamber tubes for $950/pair. I dont know anyone with personal experience with these though.

http://shop.steelheader.com/viewcategory.php?groupid=0

Sotars are tough, well-designed boats. My 13' performs extremely well on the rivers you mentioned above. It has a carrying capacity of about 1,000 lbs. If you design your frame correctly, you will be able to switch up from light day fishing trips/multi-day fly-outs/6 Mile-style class V trips/drop a motor lake fish/etc. goeaux (on the forum) is the Sotar dealer for Alaska. Brian Richardson from Alaska Raft Connection does a great job of frame design. When it comes to cat boating in Alaska, they are a couple of the most knowledgeable guys in AK. Here are a couple shots of my 13' Sotar cat....it's as versatile as a swiss army knife.

Loaded up and floating through the Upper Gulkana Canyon with my boy. Even when she's fully loaded, she handles like a dream through class III water. Perfect for Lake Creek, Gulkana, and the like.

The slog to the put-in on the class III/IV Guardrail section of the Willow. Light enough to drag/carry as far as you want.

Josh

Thanks I will look onto these options!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I recently purchased a scadden steelheader used . It is a one man pontoon with standing platform and 600 lb capacity. One can be purchased new through cabelas for around a grand. I believe it is class IV rated.