Thread: Homer spit surf fishing....whats happenin down there?

Default Homer spit surf fishing....whats happenin down there?

ok so goin to homer for the 4th of july weekend just because i want to take my nephew and my g/f's 5 year old girl fishin off the spit....havent been there this time of year but have fished it on memorial weekend with good results so would like to know how its been lately.....5 year old would love to catch some flounders and cod....thanks for any info guys....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    ok so goin to homer for the 4th of july weekend just because i want to take my nephew and my g/f's 5 year old girl fishin off the spit....havent been there this time of year but have fished it on memorial weekend with good results so would like to know how its been lately.....5 year old would love to catch some flounders and cod....thanks for any info guys....
    I was there june 16th and caught all kinds of fish. ( flounder, rock fish, cod, and many more i couldnt identify) . It was my first time fishing the spit and it was a blast. Every hook up kept you guessing what was on the line. The kid will have lots of fun. Try fishing the incoming tide near the ferry dock way at the end of the spit. Throw your line as far as it can go and inbetween the two pillar thingy in he water. 2-3 ounce weight 3 ft above the hook will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Ill be down there also. fishing should be great. my kids always have a blast when fishing down there. as salmonslut said you dont know what will be at the end of your line.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Will spinners work for these type of fish, or is some kind of bait on the hook a must?

Herring with weight. Cast as far out as you can, its to easy to catch them
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I'll be down on the spit this weekend too. For surfcasting, I prefer using salmon fillets (I buy them from Freddies). One $5 piece of salmon will last forever. I have literally brought in 30+ fish on a single piece of bait. Last time I was on the spit in May, I was the only one catching fish, so everyone started crowding me and crossing my line. I might stay on the sidelines for that.

On the spit note, is anything going on in the Hole?
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com