Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to shoot in the Valley?

Default Where to shoot in the Valley?

I think I'm posting this in the right forum...
    Where can you still target shoot in the Valley? We used to go out to little chunk of beach on the west end of the Goose Bay airport.
    But that's part of the Goose Bay Wildlife Refuge and is now off limits to target shooting. They have almost a hundred signs out there highlighting that.
    We then drove out to the old bunkers. There was a bunch of cars there & a less than pleasant gentleman informed us the area was being cleaned up and now is off limits.
    So... Any thoughts? Yes there's the gun range in Palmer & Birchwood. But I was looking for something free.
    By target shooting I mean just hand guns, plinking at targets. Nothing fancy, just having a little fun.
    One person suggested just finding a spot with no one around, but I was trained to not shoot unless you know what is behind your target at least a mile out. With the way the Valley has grown, there's homes everywhere...
    Any thoughts?

I have been taking the family out Sutton lately. Jonesville mine area has a few areas that you can shoot. We really need a official range. It's pathetic that we don't!

Maud Road off of the Old Glenn Hwy. Drive to the end of the paved road and continue to drive down the dirt road pass Jim Lake. You will encounter Knik River Public Use Access Area No Targeting Shooting signs as well as Eklutina Native Corp No Trespassing signs on the way. Eventually you will enter an area that has signs that are Knik River Public Use Area you can shoot there. On the left you will see different targets from people who do not know how to clean up after themselves. Up the hill to the left as you are facing the mountains the trees have been cleared up to a 100 yards. If you find any arrows out there, let me know. My 9 year old son let a couple of arrows go that should not have been let go. That is why we practice. Have fun!

with any luck they will get the range at the sports center. The people that don't want it used meters in the parking area to study the sound but don't understand if the range will have walls and is baffled their little stupid sound readings in a flat lot will be nothing alike
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Go research the Alaska State Government Site

A couple of years ago the State of Alaska (I think it was either Fish & Game or Parks & Recreation) gave a seminar where they (among other things) identified two areas in South Central Alaska where target shooting was legal.

Sorry, I don't remember any better details. They may be the locations already posted about, but if you go to the Alaska State Government Web Site, you might be able to find specific information and have more confidence if a State Trooper should happen by.

I went to the web site and poked around a bit, but in the limited time I have tonight could not find any better information. But I know it has got to be there somewhere.

Good Luck.

Lost Sheep

http://www.alaska.gov/

Ummm..lets see .drive up the parks till you find one of the hundred abandoned gravel pits along it. Any questions? Sometimes a lil time behind the wheel helps ...Its called exploring I think.

Default Gravel pits, mud flats, parks land - all illegal I understand

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    Ummm..lets see .drive up the parks till you find one of the hundred abandoned gravel pits along it. Any questions? Sometimes a lil time behind the wheel helps ...Its called exploring I think.
    The law was not enforced out at the mud flats between Anchorage and the Valley until a few years ago. too many trashed cars and other trash along with safety concerns put the kibosh on that. Take care.Lost Sheep

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    Hang onto your dreams.

A hundred?? You'd be lucky to find seven.

And, they would have signs, saying SOA, and Keep out, No Shooting, Drop Dead, or some such.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    A couple of years ago the State of Alaska (I think it was either Fish & Game or Parks & Recreation) gave a seminar where they (among other things) identified two areas in South Central Alaska where target shooting was legal.

Sorry, I don't remember any better details. They may be the locations already posted about, but if you go to the Alaska State Government Web Site, you might be able to find specific information and have more confidence if a State Trooper should happen by.

I went to the web site and poked around a bit, but in the limited time I have tonight could not find any better information. But I know it has got to be there somewhere.

Good Luck.

Lost Sheep

http://www.alaska.gov/
    I think it's more likely, you would get arrested for even asking for such information, than getting an answer.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I think it's more likely, you would get arrested for even asking for such information, than getting an answer.

Smitty of the North
    Man thats sad! Here in Iowa I can drive outside the city limits in any direction N,S,E or W no more than 2 miles and have access to private property to shoot on until my hearts content! So much for Alaska being the last frontier!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Man thats sad! Here in Iowa I can drive outside the city limits in any direction N,S,E or W no more than 2 miles and have access to private property to shoot on until my hearts content! So much for Alaska being the last frontier!
    drive 2 miles???,,,, sorry you have to go thru so much hardship to go shoot. Some of us here in the last frontier can shoot right off our deck, listen to the radio drink a pop enjoy the comforts of home, and bang away
    akstafford hey call me I need to sight in a couple for a weapons course I have comeing
    Μολών λαβέ

Default I'll take that wager (if one were offered)

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I think it's more likely, you would get arrested for even asking for such information, than getting an answer. Smitty of the North
    According to this website, http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/krpua/index.cfm Knik River Public Use Area (KRPUA) was created by (AS 41.23.180-230), managed by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) on June 30, 2006 (House Bill 307). Land within the KRPUA boundary encompasses approximately 200,000 acres of state owned lands, and another 60,000 acres of federally owned lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management (Friday Creek and Hunter Creek drainages). Like other Public Use Areas in the state, the purpose for establishing the KRPUA is to preserve, perpetuate, and enhance public recreation, enjoyment of fish and wildlife, and the traditional use of fish and wildlife resources. The area provides for a full-spectrum of outdoor recreational opportunities, and is open to motorized and non-motorized recreational pursuits. Activities common to the area include riding of off-highway vehicles (OHV's), hunting, fishing, trapping, target shooting, boating, flying planes, horseback riding, biking, hiking, camping, and wildlife viewing.For questionsabout the KRPUA please contact Cliff Larson at 269-8508 or email: clifford.larson@alaska.gov.I imagine he would have (at least) contact information about other areas of the State.Smitty, I am kind of disappointed in your pessimism. While current events may indicate it justified, this IS still Alaska. Keep your optimism. I, for one, would miss your voice if you wound up in jail.Lost Sheep

It is legal to shoot at the spot toward the end of Maud road on the left only. It's the only spot, maybe 10 acres, that you can target shoot in the KRPUA 200,000 acre tract. Yes, you can hunt in most of the area, but not target shoot. Jonesville road has a couple of areas where you can shoot but with all the atv traffic it's getting hard to find a spot that is real safe. You can shoot on most private property in the valley if ok with the land owner and there is a safe backstop. The few that like to drag there trash somewhere shoot it up and leave it are costing us that shoot responsibly most of our shooting areas. The sign shooters are the absolute scum of the earth. I wish someone would invent a sign that shot back.
    Believe me I do understand the free thing but at the price of gas nowdays it costs almost as much for me to drive to Sutton and back as it does to shoot at palmer or birchwood. Being and old guy, the yearly gate pass only cost $125 and it lets me use the range after hours.

Just go find some public land (a lot out there) with a safe backstop and fire away.

Default That would probably get you arrested (or at least a ticket)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just go find some public land (a lot out there) with a safe backstop and fire away.
    The web site whose link I posted earlier goes on about how the DNR went through a lot of lead contaminant mitigation (at considerable cost to all of us Alaskans) in the more popular shooting sites. Unless you police up your spent brass, used targets and expended lead it would be socially irresponsible to just find a backstop and contaminate it with a lot of lead and used target litter.Call me old-fashioned, or call me new-age or whatever you want, but don't call me to go your bail.Lost Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    It IS sad, IMO.

Sure, there is a lot of public land, but itís not accessible, to where you can drive someplace, out of town, park along the road and shoot, sight your rifle in, anymore. Those places used to exist, but theyíve been closed, under the guise, of too much trashing of the area.

There are few places to park, because they block most such places with deep ditches and mounds, or huge rocks, to prevent people from pulling off the road.

The powers that be, tend to funnel all activities into special areas where they can control us, and charge us money for the privilege. Of course, itís for ďour own safetyĒ. We are so blessed.

MANY years ago, I was informed by a State Trooper, that you arenít allowed to shoot in any public, place, and that includes roads.

If you know someone who has private property, that is suitable for shooting, fine, but to say, that there are millions of square miles where you can go shooting is baloney, since you canít drive to those places, very easily.

I hear shooting around here where I live all the time, and I sometimes shoot here too, but itís really not a safe place, to do it, and I have to be very cautious. Also, Iím talking 25 yards max. Plus, if anyone complained, it would automatically become Illegal.

I belong to 3 different ranges, but this costs more moola that I usta be able to afford, so I sympathize with those looking for a place to shoot their guns, without cost, and without supervision.

In too many ways, Alaska is NO LONGER ďThe Last FrontierĒ.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

alaska is what america was.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Matt you are exactly right, be out of any area that is closed to shooting get yourself a backstop and shoot till it's red. As long as you pick up your stuff when you leave go have fun. Alaska's huge and if a bit of lead shot into a sidehill is going to hurt anything then we ought to just turn em in right now
    Μολών λαβέ

Smitty, I agree completely. Alaska has very few roads compared to other states and when you find a side road it more than likely goes to someones house or some other place you can't shoot. There are few places within 50 miles of Anchorage that you can just pull over and shoot either for safety reasons or legal reasons or just not accessable by car. By the way, I am a boolit caster so when I find a dirt bank that been shot into a lot, I bring my sieve, shovel and bucket to recycle the lead and I pick up my empties and others that are laying about. I also take my targets and stand home to evaluate the targets and reuse the stand. The stories that our leaders have been pushing on us about lead leeching from shooting sites into the water system is pure bunk. Likewise the lead wheel weights. Lead developes a lead oxide coating quickly on the outside that just doesn't break down easily. If it didn't we would all be dead from drinking water from pipes soldered with lead based solder. I am against littering and think people should pick up after their shooting secessions but I don't consider burying a piece of lead in the dirt littering. I have screened over a hundred pounds of lead from a place people used to shoot where Jim Creek flows out onto the mud flats and will screen more as time permits. If anyone knows of other lead rich areas that I can help clean up let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Matt you are exactly right, be out of any area that is closed to shooting get yourself a backstop and shoot till it's red. As long as you pick up your stuff when you leave go have fun. Alaska's huge and if a bit of lead shot into a sidehill is going to hurt anything then we ought to just turn em in right now
    That's how I always done up here and not about to stop anytime soon. Never had a problem, either.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast