Thread: Tangle lakes and paxson side of Denali hwy

Default Tangle lakes and paxson side of Denali hwy

The hubby, kids and I are heading up for the weekend Friday morning. Anyone been up there this season? How's the fishing/road conditions. This is my fourth trip up there. I do an annual run in late July early august to fish and pick berries. Never been up this early though. Any reports? Hoping to have a great weekend. Bringing the dog and two canoes. Tent camping. Can't wait!!!

Are you going to stay at the tangle lake campground? I'd be curious if they finished construction. I stayed there in late may and the day we left they started to block off one half of the campground for construction.

Fishings always good up that way.. Those grayling can never let you down! Heading to tangle saturday
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Default side of road or tangle campground...unsure

I know about the construction, might have to consider camping a few miles away if the campground thats open is full. I haven't stayed in the campground before, though I have driven through it. I prefer roadside gravel pit off the beaten path camping myself. We will have to play it by ear. I love the fishing up there. Usually catch 15-17 inch grayling. I of course will be trolling around for some lake trout and try my luck at that though I hear tell it can be years before you get lucky. I will be sure to report back on whether that is successful. I am hoping the weather reports are wrong, as the whole dang state is predicted to have rain all weekend. The 12 and 13 year old girls can be a bit whiny when it gets dreary out like that. So crossing my fingers for a good day, cuz those girls are going soft on me. I am the more avid fisherman of the family and they have started to dislike it of late... sighs, oh well, it can start to be mom's peaceful get away then!!!

Default Great conditions save the mining activity

Quote Originally Posted by faemystique View Post
    The hubby, kids and I are heading up for the weekend Friday morning. Anyone been up there this season? How's the fishing/road conditions. This is my fourth trip up there. I do an annual run in late July early august to fish and pick berries. Never been up this early though. Any reports? Hoping to have a great weekend. Bringing the dog and two canoes. Tent camping. Can't wait!!!
    I was there a few weeks ago and the conditions were great for hiking, bird-watching, and paddling. I have to say the only thing that taints an otherwise truly incredible experience in the Tangle Lakes region is the mineral exploration activity. There's a small camp of folks working for a foreign mining company living within sight and sound of the Denali Highway, and their helicopter buzzes around the tundra to help with the drilling. You can read more about what's happening at http://www.savetanglelakes.org and you can take action at http://www.akcomments.org/tanglelakes.html.

I am heading up around that area Friday afternoon. Doing the gravel pit off the beaten path type camping.

Heading up saturday. Then heading up and camping at the falls, last year came very close to getting mauled by a grizz so the .357 is going to be handy..
    -Local 907 Riders Union

I feel sorry for everyone going up there this weekend.You will not find a spot to park much less camp anywhere near tangle lakes.It was packed yesterday and alot of the parking not in the campgrounds is blocked off.In the campgrounds you have about a quarter of what we had last year to camp in.TOO MANY TOURIST.Good luck oh and for those of you choosing to go there during the fourth of july weekend I hope you made a backup plan or can handle disapointment well.I am not trying to be mean but what the state is doing is pissing me off extremely.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Meiers Lake good for Grayling just before Paxon. (& the inlet creek on the N end)
    Have caught Lakers & Grayling out of Sumit Lake , past Paxon on Richardson.
    Couple lakes just before Meiers lake, a short canoe portage, has Pike, can get to another lake hooked to it by
    a short slough by paddling. Some good dry land camp spots on the lakes.
    Fielding Lake I think has a trail to it. Never went on it but always wanted to, creek that leaves it
    on the North end looks like prime Grayling water.
    Long Tangle lake is a good spot to get away from the crowd & good fishing. Good exercise paddling to get to it about 3 miles North of canoe launch on Round Tangle lake.
    Seemed to always get fish in the evenings this time of the year.
    Next month some lakes there algae up & get warm so the fish (grayling) get soft & head into the creeks.
    Fun to check out the hatchery just N of Paxon, (on the Richardson) creek full of reds. Old style hatchery.
    Fun trip.
    You should have a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Heading up saturday. Then heading up and camping at the falls, last year came very close to getting mauled by a grizz so the .357 is going to be handy..
    The falls on the delta river? That's where the bear was too?

Yeah we go up to the D falls. The bear was up a stream we hiked. Somewhere back by one of those many lakes
    -Local 907 Riders Union