Thread: Well Pumps & Systems

Default Well Pumps & Systems

Cabin is up! yay! (now I know how long it takes!!!) We drove a well, but haven't put pump on it. i wanted a simple pitcher pump, but I think we're going to look into an Electric pump. What do you have? What works best? Is a pressure tank advisable? We're 'hoping' to keep things reasonable (ie it's not a 'money is no object' type scenario), but don't wanna wish we'd done something else in a year.

The water is good at fairly shallow up there (20ish feet). We used 2".

There are so many options with size, hp, COST. Thanks SO much!

Need more info.

Is well head inside cabin? Or outside standing alone?
    Have you already started dealing with gray water and septic water systems?

If you have 110 or a generator, you can get an inexpensive shallow well pump from Home Depot, Lowes, Spenards, ect. You ought to use at least 1" intake whether black iron, or plastic. Have you checked for sand at bottom of well shaft? If you got sand, you will need a sandpoint, or screen- as well as installing a anti-backflow valve.

You can actually do this in stages if you need to. First install a Pump and pressure tank with intake and a short output to use till you install more plumbing in cabin.

Even have an outside sink and shower till you get time and funds to put more effort in to plumbing cabin.

If no 110; a 12 volt pump could be used, but... you limit yourself depending how how far down the water is and draw of pump you find. This system would be an on demand only realistically, due to even a small leak in a pressure system would continually draw batteries down.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

thanks & sorry for the delay in response on my part.

We have driven the well with a sand point. The well is outside set off from the cabin a bit. We haven't had much water to spare, so haven't been really dealing with grey/septic. We have a porta potty & have incinerated contents thusfar. Dishes done in a small dishpan & just poured out.

We have a couple of generators, so that's the power route we're taking right now.

I think we're planning to add the pressure tank later- we just hope to get some water available at the cabin for now. But, it'd be nice if we didn't need to buy a new pump when we 'add on' to the plumbing. No sink or shower yet- sounds heavenly though! =)

So are you thinking of putting something like a gravity tank in rafters of the cabin, or on a stand outside? And just fill when need to by running the generator? Can be as simple as a 55 gallon drum. And just run water into a sink using inexpensive Pex line. Hook-up a simple strainer drain downhill from cabin, hopefully about 100 yards or more. Another option is to dig a hole bury a couple of 55 gallon drums w/ holes punched in bottom and sides to handle your waste water (grey) now, and feed from the side about 8" down from top of barrel. (read headspace) Don't forget to put a vent out the top. Make sure that sump pit is as far away from well as possible. You can look up septic tank regulations online, and I'm not 100% sure about legallities in your situation. Just know it would work, and if you buried deep enough would work in colder monthes as well. My grey water tank is from Greer tank, and is set in with a base 30 inches deep of 3" rock to drain into soil. It does not "work" as a septic tank, but as a leech style tank.

Hope that helps,
    Chris

Submersible pumps only go down to 3" last time I bought one. That means 3" well casing, not applicable to a driven gal pipe with a sand point. That one was available in 110v while 4" and larger went up to 220v. Ak Pump is a great resource for all well related items. If you're only interested in summer use with a 1" or 1 1/4" pipe a surface pump might work. Ask them about those. I think they call them jet pumps. Pitcher pumps work great but you'll want to add a backflow preventer valve at the top of the pipe and then the pump on top of that. Prime it once and it'll stay primed all summer. If you miss a couple of weekends you'll need to moisten the leather with a cup or two of water to get any suction. You'll need to unscrew the valve to break the vacuum before freeze up to let the water drain down or the pipe will freeze. I used a pitcher pump like that for a lot of years and thought I was blessed. It beat the heck out of collecting snow in winter or running salmon spooge water through a Katadyn filter in summer.

If you do go with a submersible pump you'll need a foot valve at the bottom of the pipe. Drill a small pee hole to allow the water to drain back down or winter will freeze that line like the pitcher pump line. The submersible pump will pump plenty of volume so you won't even know the pee hole is there. If you add a ballcock to the top of the water pipe you need to make sure it doesn't close tight in winter or the pee hole won't work. Frozen pipe? Bad deal for Dad. I get well water through the top of my casing all winter long, no problem. If you go submersible and want more info on how to use it year-round without a pitless send me a PM.