Thread: 200 Sportjet won't idle

Default 200 Sportjet won't idle

Ran to the Deshka and Yetna rivers yesterday. When I got back to the launch, it idled really rough. Idling up and down. So, after getting the truck, it didn't want to start. It would sputter then die. Got it started by giving it a lot of throttle and cranking it that way. Today, i replaced both of the fuel filters but it still runs the same way. One other thing is that I half way shredded an alternator belt. Dust everywhere. Do ya think some dust got into the intake? What could be my problem. Bad time to be down and out. Have a camping trip planned this weekend.

Rob

check you air compresore fileter make sure you did'nt plug it with the belt coming apart..s
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Ok. The filter is pretty clean. Not new but clean. I just finished pulling all the plugs. What a major PITA. It's so much easier pulling the expansion chamber. Wish I had an extra gasket.... Garrett suggested I check the plugs. They look pretty fouled. Must have been running rich. Maybe all the dust from the belt? Who know. Now gotta head to Napa for new plugs. Hoe this works.

Did you get full rpm.... hate them plugs.... what a pain.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Yeah, I was getting full RPM and it was running great. Same GPH at cruise and everything. Just won't Idle. Talked to akgravelpumper tonight and he told me how to check the reeds. Gonna take a look at them in the morning and change out all the plugs. They were pretty black.

OK. Replaced the plugs and cleaned up everything else. I checked the reeds with a mirror and they looked great. Whew..... Did a complete once over everything and she fired right up. Thanks for the help guys.

Just curious how many hours did you have on her and what kind of oil do you run?

240 hours and I run West Marines DFI oil. Never had any problems with it before.

Is that the first time you changed the plugs? I just turned 100 hours and am thinking about doing mine. Also have you changed your reed's out yet?

Thanks
    Larry

This is the second time I've changed the plugs. I haven't changed the reeds and don't see that I need to in the near future. Honestly I don't see why so many people have had to. I've raced quads and have had several sleds in the past and they rev just as high or higher than these motors and never had to change the reeds on them either. Unless I went for better reeds. Good gas and good oil is the best way to keep it running good.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    This is the second time I've changed the plugs. I haven't changed the reeds and don't see that I need to in the near future. Honestly I don't see why so many people have had to. I've raced quads and have had several sleds in the past and they rev just as high or higher than these motors and never had to change the reeds on them either. Unless I went for better reeds. Good gas and good oil is the best way to keep it running good.
    If you do some reading you will find that some of the Optimaxs have a history of stock reed failure, and when they go, BAD things happen.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/