Thread: Moose Hunting Hogatza River- Advice for a couple Texans

Default Moose Hunting Hogatza River- Advice for a couple Texans

Hi Everyone,

First of all I'd like to say thanks for the awesome site; I've gotten a lot of good advice from it. My brother, dad and I will be making an un-guided 9 day float trip down the Hogatza River in GMU 24C this September before I leave for Army Basic Training in October. My brother was at Ft. Wainright for 4 years, and is now a permenant resident of Alaska living in Anchorage. This will be our first moose hunt. My brother and I hiked the corridor last August and took a nice (by our standard anyway) caribou. As a side note, that hike did a pretty good job of convincing me to become a bow hunter. Although we have no moose hunting experience, we all have extensive outdoor experience, so I'm not concerned about the exposure. I was curious if anyone had first hand experience of the Hog River, or had advice in general regarding the conditions in the area. It seems that most of the info that I can find is in regards to the Kuyukuk. Another question I had was in regards to duck hunting while on the trip. As we will be flying in for the hunt, the amount of gear we can bring is somewhat limited. We do a lot of duck hunting down here on the coast, and we hunt over pretty big spreads. I was curious if it would be worth our time to bring shotguns and possibly some inflatable decoys. Any advice is greatly appreciated, and if anyone is curious about hunting it Texas I'd be glad to return the favor.

Respectfully,
    Michael

Michael, the duck hunting should be decent. I've seen on average maybe 25 a day on that river. lots of grouse, too. a shotgun wouldn't be a bad idea.

bring fishing gear for pike, and some are large.

lazy float.

hunt slowly, break sticks often. you'll see lots of small bulls, but still some nice shooters there.

still a registration permit hunt to my knowledge.

good luck.

I appreciate the feedback Mr. Bartlett. That all sounds like good news to me. I order you Float Hunting Alaska 1 and 2 and Project Bloodtrail dvd's last week and have been soaking those up. If you wouldn't mind I have one or two other questions. I'd send you a PM but I don't have enough posts. My email is mmeyer2488@gmail.com Shoot me an email if your not too busy. I'd be willing to compensate you for your time.

Thanks,
    Mike

I know of a couple hunting parties that hunt that area every year by boat. They also own a large Gold mine on the Hogatza River. Big bulls come out of this area but they put lots of work in. They have had great luck with calling later in the year when the bulls are in full rut. For the most part they speak of the hunt being fairly easy if you put in the time. They know the area like the back of the hand and seem to harvest moose in numbers every year.