Thread: Summer Observations

Default Summer Observations

Local member FurFishGame is right. There isn't much going on over here this time of year. That doesn't mean the waterfowl aren't busy though. I saw a mama mallard with about ten ducklings cross the road in front of me yesterday. There is a family of wigeons in my favorite gravel pit, as well as a pair of horned grebes with their young. I also walked up on my first pair of harlequin ducks while king fishing on the Susitna a couple of weeks ago. Even as they molt, the harlequin is easily recognizable - and I had never seen one before! I will probably end up going hunting for something big this fall - maybe a sheep or caribou - but it's the ducks that get me antsy for the season to open. Only problem is that I still have duck in the freezer from last season. Time to fire up the grill!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Let me tell you a good one. I lived all about the Midwest my whole life. I even spent a couple springs working the Platte River on the central flyway doing field research on waterfowl. It took the median between the in and outbound lanes of the Glenn Highway for me to see my first neck-collared bird. A little Canada (not Canadian) goose foraging with another adult. Well, I'll be a monkeys uncle. Alaska continues to produce neat firsts for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Local member FurFishGame is right.
    And what is a local member? Do you fellas have jackets?
    Go Big Red!

Did I not show you my jacket? It's a Members Only (lol). They send it to you when you hit 100 posts. I believe I'm due a set of steak knives when I hit 500.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I have seen that same goose! He was out there for a couple years, but I didn't see it this year. I do get to see lots of Harlequins at the tailrace while fishing. It makes flogging the water for hours on end not catching and fish somwhat tolerable. I didn't get to see any full color drake pintails this year, that was kinda disappointing.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    And what is a local member? Do you fellas have jackets?
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Default Collared Goose (Goose with a collar)

This was on Friday, June 17th at about 540 a.m. Didn't stop to get the ID and track where it came from but it would be an interesting side project one of these days.
    Go Big Red!

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    This was on Friday, June 17th at about 540 a.m. Didn't stop to get the ID and track where it came from but it would be an interesting side project one of these days.
    What color was the collar?

I was out the road (Juneau) a couple weeks ago and saw the largest raft of Harlequin I've ever seen. At least 75 birds! I was shocked! I wish I had a camera with me.

Erich

I wish I remember what the collar color was. I want to say white but I was mostly thinking to myself, "seriously? I would have never guessed my first collar would be next to the road in Alaska." I'm pretty confident it wasn't blue or green or red or orange. Slayer? Help a brother out?
    Go Big Red!

It's a white collar. That goose has been there for a few years, I'm surprised nobody has got him yet. I keep a look out for him every year, but we haven't crossed paths after September 1st.

Yep I have seen him the past two years. Looks like he nests there. I am guessing it is a cackler but not sure some sort of lesser anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Yep I have seen him the past two years. Looks like he nests there. I am guessing it is a cackler but not sure some sort of lesser anyway.
    How dark was his chest? Cacklers tend to be really dark little guys. If it was lighter it was probably a Taverner.

Erich

I snapped this pic of a hen Harli with 4 ducklings from my office window. Can't wait until duck season!

Erich
    Attached Images Attached Images

I saw my first pair of canvas back today! Right here in Anchorage. So cool!

I have been very happy to see all the birds on the eklutna flats this year. I usually don't see many out there, but the past couple of weeks there have been quite a few of them in the ponds. I have been hearing lots of sandhill cranes out on the hayflats while I am fishing too. Hopefully I can finally connect with one this year.

Oh man I hope my shoulder is ready for the season!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK