Thread: most weight on back of 19' grumman?

Default most weight on back of 19' grumman?

Lots of info here about the size of motors for the 19'. I can't decide if I'm going to go with the 2 or 4 stroke and I may use a lift.

So what is the total max weight that you would recommend putting on the back? (not including yourself )
    Semper Fi and God Bless

they say 5 HP max on the canoe by the maker I think, saying that I run a 15 hp old 2 cycle with a lift on a 19 Grumman

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Lots of info here about the size of motors for the 19'. I can't decide if I'm going to go with the 2 or 4 stroke and I may use a lift.

So what is the total max weight that you would recommend putting on the back? (not including yourself )
    It would depend on a few things. A big one is the weight of the operator and where they are located (seated toward the back or standing a couple feet forward). Also, it would depend on what else you have in the boat. You can put a good amount of weight on the back as long as you counter it with more weight in the bow. If you are running with a 110lb wife/kid in the bow and nothing else, you are going to be having a hard time with much of anything hanging off the back. If you have a larger person or the ability to load extra water/fuel jugs/meat right in the bow compartment, you can get away with a lot more weight. It would also depend somewhat on the kind of lift. If you use the ones that push the engine another foot or so beyond the stern of the boat, you have to factor in that extra leverage and whatever weight you have will have more impact.

For me, I typically have a couple 5 gal jugs of something plus other fairly heavy gear in the bow compartment (no other person) and am fine with a 15-hp 2-stroke (~75lbs) plus myself (~175 + clothes, so figure 200+/- with waders,etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    they say 5 HP max on the canoe by the maker I think, saying that I run a 15 hp old 2 cycle with a lift on a 19 Grumman
    What do you think the weight on that is?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    What do you think the weight on that is?
    15hp 2-stroke runs about 75 pounds, lift is probably about 15-20, maybe 25 pounds (very rough estimate).

I'm kind of leaning to the Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke at 81 lbs.

It would be interesting to hear the pro and con thoughts of the members here on the 4 vs 2 stroke. I realize that the 2 strokes are lighter and the same motor in a 2 stroke would go 57lbs.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

the Tohatsu is a good ENG. an it will work just fine for you , just make sure you can get parts for it in the area, you will be running , other people on this forum do run them, of the eng's that out there today you will not know the differance, I think the eng has a slip prop, [not real sure] that is the big deal of today [no sheer pin] that is the only thing that would stop me from getting the eng.
    good luck, just looke on the web an it looks like the eng has a slip prop so it will be a good eng to get,
    I stil like the old OMC 15 HP [no longer made]
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    the Tohatsu is a good ENG. an it will work just fine for you , just make sure you can get parts for it in the area, you will be running , other people on this forum do run them, of the eng's that out there today you will not know the differance, I think the eng has a slip prop, [not real sure] that is the big deal of today [no sheer pin] that is the only thing that would stop me from getting the eng.
    good luck, just looke on the web an it looks like the eng has a slip prop so it will be a good eng to get,
    I stil like the old OMC 15 HP [no longer made]
    SID
    You got me a little confused the way you worded that sid......are you saying that a slip prop is a good thing or a bad thing?
    Semper Fi and God Bless