Thread: Seward Fishing

Question Seward Fishing

I go to Seward evey fourth of July weekend. It's in the middle of the salmon runs so I usually never fish unless I take a charter for halibut. This year I wanted to try to find some small lakes or streams that had trout, dollies or grayling. I was wondering if anyone knew of some areas to fish that are not too difficult to access. I don't mind hiking maybe a mile or so, but I'm not in that great of shape so I couldn't do much farther than that. Any suggestions on fishing places and types of gear would be appreciated. I have baitcasting, spinning, and fly gear and lots of bug spray! Thanks...

There are a series of lakes just north of Seward. Try Grayling, Vagt, and Troop lakes. My only experience is with Troop, and it was a gorgeous one mile hike, with fish at the end. However, there is a lot of short elevation changes on that trail, so causes a little exercise.
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtheroad View Post
    There are a series of lakes just north of Seward. Try Grayling, Vagt, and Troop lakes. My only experience is with Troop, and it was a gorgeous one mile hike, with fish at the end. However, there is a lot of short elevation changes on that trail, so causes a little exercise.
    What kind of fish did you catch at Troop Lake and what did you use to catch them. Been looking on line and read a little about Grayling lake and it sounds promising. Thanks for the info.

We were catching rainbows at Troop using florescent (orange mostly) spinners. While the fishing was great, I have a feeling it would have been better using some wet fly patterns. Unfortunately, Troop lake shore has a lot of dense vegitation, and we didn't bring waders, so spinning was about our only option. When you're in Seward, you ought to check out Resurrection River down Nash road. There might still be some reds coming up it (there is a pay to park place on Nash road, fairly obvious and easy access. Cheap too, 5 a head?)
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com