Thread: ??? Montague Island

Default ??? Montague Island

I bought a Hewescraft 26 Alaskan. The wife and I want to go to Montague next week. I was looking at my charts and was trying to decide which would be better, leaving from Whitterier or Seward. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks guys.
    Fish fear me, My wife don't.

It is a much shorter run from Seward, but you are very exposed to the weather. You are exposed the last 20 or so miles if you make the run from Whittier. I have done it from both ports and prefer leaving from Whittier. If you are day tripping, Seward gets my vote, though. Seward is a fun town.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Spoiled one is right Seward is closer in a boat but the weather can make a buppy trip home. If you are going out for a couple days then go out of Whittier. The docks are a pain in the B but the trip is much prettier and there is always a place to harbor up if the weather turns on you.
    We go out for 3 to 4 days at a turn and have gone to Montague many times and there are sever places to harbor up for the night. We have done the same going out of Seward but it's not as nice of a trip. Meaning the islands in PWS and the sights are just beautiful.
    Good luck and have fun, check the weather before you go out.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I can't tell where the OP is from but coming from Anchorage or the valley, what's the difference in time. For me going to the needles from Whittier is just a touch over two hours. If I stop for gas on my way to whittier, add another 1.5 hours for a grand total of 3.5hours from anchorage. Is it really that much shorter to go to Seward?

I'd go from Whittier, especially if it's your first trip out there. It's more protected in general, and there are way more places to hide if the weather turns. Not to mention it is a beautiful trip. When you come out around Cape Resurrection the seas can be horrible for a little while, and if the wind is blowing right in the gulf it can quickly kick up 6' seas from nothing, which is doable but no fun at all.

Honestly, if I was starting out from Anchorage and knowing my destination was Montague, I'd check the NOAA weather and the buoy info in the gulf and wing it from there.

Seward is a much nicer, more people-friendly town, though, that's for sure.

I've thought about a 26 Hewes for a while - For those who make the run to Montague how much gas are you burning up and are you carrying a lot of spare fuel or will it make with fuel to spare? Our old boat (28 Bayliner) never got the kind of mileage to keep a safe reserve on a long trip like that - Kenaiice - opt for the safety of the Whittier trip...

I think when factor in fuel to get there, fuel to an from an anchorage, and having enough fuel to run around the S end of Knight should things get rough, you'd want to have enough fuel to provide 9-10 hours at whatever your boat consumes at cruise, at a minimum.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

My boat has a 160 gallon fuel tank. Cruising at 22 to 24 mph I am burning 10 gallons/hr. I should be able to reach the island and make it back? or do you think I will need to carry more fuel?

my buddies 22" (?) hewescraft makes it to montague and back ok hes running a Yamaha 150. They have enought fuel to run from seward and troll around for several hours than make it back just fine.

I was out to Montague on a charter yesterday and I have my doubts about running my 28 ft kingfisher from Seward to Montague and back. That last 20 or so miles out there exposed to everything the Gulf of Alaska could throw at you kind of made me nervous. At least if you came at it from Whittier you could run back behind the Island and hide. One other thing I noticed was that coming out of Resurrection Bay the waves got big and messy. Once we got out to the island it was nice but there were about 10 miles of sloppy waves that would have turned me around. I think my first try going out that way I would want another boat along with me.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Default Seward is my vote

From the dock in Seward to the south end of the Island it's 60 miles... 20 Miles from the dock to Cap Res and 40 miles out from there. Depending on gph that's what it is. If seas are going to be over 3' stay in the bay unless your trying to prove your manhood. Cap Res will / can be your biggest opportunity to prove something... many call it a washing machine.

I run a 32' Uniflite with twin diesel's. I am pretty sure I am about twice your weight and these are my rules I follow. I have been in 0' seas to 20' in the 40 mile run.

But it's fun.... Be safe regardless of your choice.
    Tony

I got the tar beaten out of me twice last year on good-to-marginal weather reports. The three hour slog back to the cape into 5' to 6' wind chop sucks. I'm a slow learner, but that cured me from going out that way from either port in anything but a very favorable forecast.

26' hewes, 225 honda will get me to the entrances, fish a bit, and back on as little as 75 gallons if the water is nice. With an overnight and a bit of running around, the most I've ever burned is about 105 gallons. I ahve the smaller tank, and always have some extra fuel on the deck.

Something I'm strongly considering is a floscan gauge or facsimile thereof to track fuel use - if you got a leak at the motor or something like that, you might not know it. A pinched HP fuel filter o-ring did that to me on a shorter run last year, and now I'm pretty cautious about leaks.

I think we will make the trip. We are going out of Whittier. I have a few weeks off so we can pick a nice day to go. My boat has twin 115 Yamaha. It gets good fuel milage. I have the yamaha fuel meters so I know what I use for fuel. I usually burn 9 to 11 gallons per hour at 22 to 24 mph. So if I had to burn 15/GPH at 15/mph, with 160 gallons of fuel that would be a little over 10 hrs of motoring. My first trip I will carry extra fuel to be safe. Thanks for all the replies. All of you be safe out there.

Which NOAA weather report do you look at when going from Seward? Cape Suckling to Gore Point?

Your boat should run about what ours does, with 160gal on board and running 18 to 24 mph out to Montague fishing for a couple days and moving about and back to Whittier we will burn up about 90gals.
    I also run a flora scan onboard and it stays pretty close to being spot on at the gas pump. This is all figured in going out of Whittier out to Montague not Seward.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I've got the 26' Hewes with twin 115 Yammies and have made the run to Montague and Latouche many times over the past few years. With the 156 gallon tank on board, I've never used more than 100 gallons on an overnight trip, and I usually plan on an overnight if I run that far 1) for time - I don't have to rush so much - although I have done a day trip there - it's a long day. 2) Because you can fish for 'butts for two days and bring back two days' limit, making it a more "efficient" trip. Oh and that fuel mileage - you'll probably run a whole lot faster than 20-24 mph, 'cause the water will usually let you. find myself pushing it up to 30mph, as it's about 90 miles out to the South end of Latouche . . . . 30mph=15 gph. 90 miles = 3 hours * 15 gph = 45 gallons, x 2=90 gallons. I usually don't run around a whole lot out there, so another 10 gallons for fishing, and this leaves me with about 50 gallons reserve, preserving the 1/3out, 1/3 in, 1/3 reserve.

My vote is always to launch out of Whittier for this trip for a couple of reasons - 1) I drop shrimp pots on the way out and pick them up on the way back. Adds about 1.5 hours to the entire trip, depending on where you drop pots. I've had good luck in Icy Bay, once you slow down to dodge all of the ice - now I know how it got its' name. 2) As mentioned by previous posters, there is protected water almost all the way down, first through Culross and the then Dangerous Passages. Not to mention there's almost always Dall porpoise and whales along the way. There's a lot ocves to stay in - hint - make sure the one you pick sort faces South and West, otherwise the sun will go down behind the island/mountains and it'll be a whole lot cooler . . .

Enjoy the trip, it's a great one.

Which NOAA weather report do you look at when going from Seward? Cape Suckling to Gore Point?
    kodiak_hunter,

Yes, use the Cape Suckling to Gore Point for the outer coast forecast. I also rely heavily on the real time bouy data for our more exposed trips: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Alaska.shtml

I use the wind speed and wave height data for my go/no go decisions on the departure date.

Doug

One other thing I should mention on the buoy data, the latest's hour of wind speed, wind direction and wave height is being broadcast on the marine vhf weather channels. I have used this information to adjust my trip on the fly to avoid sea states that I did not want to get beat up in.

Doug

AKExplore

Many thanks for the information. Looking forward to trying this route - I have traditionally gone via Whittier and it's about 100 miles. I think it would be a nice trip to start from Seward and end in Whittier, with a few stops for fishing. I do know that weather reports from Cape Suckling to Gore Point more often than not show big seas, and there are not too many places to hole up along the way. On the other hand, I am sure there are lots of charters that take this run on a routine basis.