Thread: Ground school suggestions

Question Ground school suggestions

I am looking for a ground school in either Fairbanks of Anchorage. I am planning on starting in the end of may/beginning of June. Anyone suggestions? I would like one that is two-three weeks, but that is flexible.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

I believe Warbelo's has a flight school.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I would recommend you talk to Vicki at Tamarack Air. The University has a great ground school but that probably would not fall into the time frame you're looking for. There are also some very good home study programs available....Louis

Default thanks

thanks for the input
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Default Little Different

I am currently studying the King Private Pilot DVD Knowledge Course along with Microsoft Flight Sim 2004.
    I went ahead and got the Yoke and Rudder Pedals for my PC. They have flying lessons on there that I am doing just to familiarize myself so I have a little knowledge when I start the flying end of things in a few months when the weather breaks. It's kind of fun being able to get to know the area in and around AK from in front of my puter

Default King Schools

I just looked at king schools web page, I know they are said to have good stuff. I think that is one of my best options, especially so I can go at my own pace.

Anyone have any other input about King Schools?
    Henry Ford

I took three different King ground schools and was satisfied with all of them.

The first one was in 81 or 82. It was the Instrument ground school and that was before they had video home classes (not everyone had home video then), the King school consisted of John and Martha King traveling around the country giving classes. I attended the class at a hotel here in Fairbanks, with Martha King instructing....Louis

Smile Yea...

I think I'll go with king
    Henry Ford

Default King schools

I've done two king schools. I think their material is ok, but they are also a wonderful sleep aid. Sporty's DVD course holds your attention a little better.

Default Sporty's

When you did king schools did you do a dvd/pc course? I certainly would rather not be bored, but King schools does have a reputation. One the other hand I looked at Sporty's stuff and it did look good. I think it was a little cheaper too.
    How long did it take you to do the course? (I realize that the different courses will be different lengths.)
    Henry Ford

Default What the rush?

So why are you in a hurry? Your life will depend on you learn from this class, so don't cut yourself short by going to one of the school that teaches you the test.

Here is what I did (15 years ago). First off, have all your money for the private before you start. This way you can fly every day. THIS WILL SAVE YOU BIG $$$$$$$. I started a ground school at UAA in Jan. Started flying in April and was finished my private in May.

You will have better flying weather and less demand for the aircarft if you start flying in April. Starting to fly after having three months of ground school will save you $$$. You don't have to pay you flight instructor for ground work. I had several friend that started flying the same time I did. It took me 42 hours to their 57 to 62 hours to get the private license. Mainly because I knew what to do (ground school) and didn't have to go paycheck to paycheck to purchase my flights.

Wink Not in a hurry

I am not in a hurry. I realize I need to learn this stuff, and learn it well. I wanted a shorter class because I want to take it in the summer when I don't have to worry about school, but I travel a lot in the summer, so I wanted to "go at my own pace". That is what was appealing to me about the King Schools or Sporty's. I don't want to hurry and I want to do it right, which is why I asked in the first place. I didn't mean for it to seem like I was just in a hurry.
    Henry Ford

Most people use ground school as a tool to pass the written exam. That's a fine strategy. If King CDs do it for you there's nothing wrong with that. It's your instructor's job to assure you have the knowledge and skills to pass the oral exam and flight test to achieve your PPL.

I agree with Mr PID on this. The King Course is geared towards passing the knowlege test. The fewer questions you miss, the less there is on your test score sheet for the DPE or FAA examiner to rag on you about.
    They all look at your week test areas and ask questions about those subjects.
    The Sporty's DVD stuff is probably more interesting for long term knowlege.
    You can buy used DVDs all over the place.

A King Course helps you pass the written.
    A good CFI makes sure you remember the important stuff and know how to use it.

Of there is an EAA group in your area, join up and check out some meetings. There will be folks with all sorts of stuff you can buy or borrow.

If there is a CFI group in your area, ask about attending the meetings. Our group loves to have new pilots attend. You can pick up some good ideas and meet some DPEs and FAA folks. They are a lot less scarey that way...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I agree. I've been a member of EAA for a while now and our local chapter in Fairbanks is a great bunch of folks http://www.eaa-1129.org/ You're welcome to drop in any meeting. We meet the first thursday of every month at 6:30 at the Pioneer Park air museum, excepting the month's June-September. Feel free to drop me a line either pm or lknapp@polarnet.com if you want more info....Louis

Thumbs up Thanks...

Keep the suggestions rolling I'll plan on going to the next EAA meeting
    Henry Ford

Default Ground School

I have tried both but really like having an instructor help explain things I dont understand. The facts are sometimes easy to remember, but a full understanding can make a difference in the air. I normally will study the dvd's and still take a ground school or pay for some one on one time with an instructor. The written test is easy and only takes about three days to prepare for, but the oral is another subject all together. The examiner can ask you anything he wants and often has some trick questions to ask, so beware. Good luck, flying and cheap but if its in your blood your cant get it out.

Terry

Thumbs up instructors

I have several freinds that fly for a living, and my dad is a pilot and a teacher, so I think any questions I might have would be able to be answered.
    Henry Ford