Thread: Who sells Mercury DFI oil in or near Anchorage?

Default Who sells Mercury DFI oil in or near Anchorage?

I need some Mercury DFI oil for my 200 optimax sportjet. Who stocks it near ANC?

Thanks.

Not sure who stocks it, but I usually run West Marines DFI oil. Runs great.

Quote Originally Posted by dimrod View Post
    I need some Mercury DFI oil for my 200 optimax sportjet. Who stocks it near ANC?

Thanks.
    Alaska Mining and Diving sells Quicksilver DFI 2 Cycle and Marita Sea&Ski sells Mercury DFI 2 Cycle. Acording to the Mercury owners manual both the right choice to use in the Optimax 200. Both are made by Mercury

I still have a couple of gallons of Amsoil HP injector left.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I still have a couple of gallons of Amsoil HP injector left.
    do yourself and your motor a favor and use the AMSOIL!

Second the motion on the Amsoil, been running it since I got my SJ, only Merc oil it's ever had is what was in the lines from new. Even mostly drained the tank to put the Amsoil in. It's that good.

Quote Originally Posted by OzAK View Post
    Second the motion on the Amsoil, been running it since I got my SJ, only Merc oil it's ever had is what was in the lines from new. Even mostly drained the tank to put the Amsoil in. It's that good.
    I'll stick to Quicksilver DFI 2 Cycle and/ or Mercury DFI 2 Cycle. both have better properties in the oil for the Optimax DFI 200 than Amsoil, just take a look at the Data sheet (MSDS)

I will spend the couple of extra dollars ($2-3) over the Amsoil everyday.
    Mercury DFI is $37.50...... per gal when you buy the 2.5 gal jug
    QuickSilver DFI is $26.00..... per gal when you buy the 2.5 gal jug

The Mercury oil is a Better Oil and even cheaper in most cases

Now for the The Price for Amsoil per gal is $34.80... you do the math (you can buy 1 gal jugs but not 2.5 gal jugs) to save a couple of dollars at the expense of your engine is fine... thats your call, but no thanks for my new engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    I'll stick to Quicksilver DFI 2 Cycle and/ or Mercury DFI 2 Cycle. both have better properties in the oil for the Optimax DFI 200 than Amsoil, just take a look at the Data sheet (MSDS)

I will spend the couple of extra dollars ($2-3) over the Amsoil everyday.
    Mercury DFI is $37.50...... per gal when you buy the 2.5 gal jug
    QuickSilver DFI is $26.00..... per gal when you buy the 2.5 gal jug

The Mercury oil is a Better Oil and even cheaper in most cases

Now for the The Price for Amsoil per gal is $34.80... you do the math (you can buy 1 gal jugs but not 2.5 gal jugs) to save a couple of dollars at the expense of your engine is fine... thats your call, but no thanks for my new engine.
    No actually the cost on HP Injector from me is $24 a gallon. So what does the Merc oil have that Amsoil does not? You know that the MSDS's only list the HARZARDOUS componenets not all the ingrediants contained in the product. HP injector is not a petro based product so you will not see alot of listed ingrediants unless considered a hazard to health or the enviroment.

So what does the Merc oil have that Amsoil does not?
    how does the detergent level/type of the Amsoil compare with the Merc oil....I've been told that is one of the differences...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

After one season of using Mercury Syn DFI oil I switched to Amsoil for my previously owned 200 Optimax. The only difference I could see was more money in my wallet.
    Used it on our run up to the Koyukuk, 3 long days of bascially running non stop each way, upwards of 5,200 rpm's for long periods of time. Motor ran flawless.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    After one season of using Mercury Syn DFI oil I switched to Amsoil for my previously owned 200 Optimax. The only difference I could see was more money in my wallet.
    I've been told that you won't see a difference unless you open up the motor...I have no idea though...I have a buddy that runs a cocktail of the cheapest, expired lube he can find and has had no issues....

what we should do is get a few guys together and buy a drum of the Opti/DFI stuff to get the price down and we wouldn't have to be worrying about it ...I could probably work it out if there's interest...
    pull my finger....

I'm interested T, but only in the Merc oil. Either the Optimax or Quick Silver. What say you?

I was buying opti oil in SE in Craig for $1320 a drum..... In anchorage they want 1800? I called Merc. they told me that Quicksilver at walmart is the same oil as opti DFI just in a dif jug! If any one wants to go in on a drum Lynden will ship from Craig to Anchorage and it will still be cheaper than the shops in anchorage trying to rob us blind!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I'm interested T, but only in the Merc oil. Either the Optimax or Quick Silver. What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by taylor r View Post
    I was buying opti oil in SE in Craig for $1320 a drum..... In anchorage they want 1800? I called Merc. they told me that Quicksilver at walmart is the same oil as opti DFI just in a dif jug! If any one wants to go in on a drum Lynden will ship from Craig to Anchorage and it will still be cheaper than the shops in anchorage trying to rob us blind!
    I'll make a few phone calls tomorrow...on a Friday before the holiday weekend I'm not expecting to get much done so if I strike out tomorrow I'll pick up again on Tuesday....

I'm not sure how Mercury is sold in this region, but if they use a local jobber and they are anything like Shell, Conoco, Chevron, BP, etc., they won't sell directly to anyone but will only refer you to a local jobber....worse case scenario is we find a distributer in the north west (Washington) that can get it to the port in Tacoma and I'm pretty sure I can get it up here for free....if the price in SE was $1320/drum then it should be less in the L48....I use approx. 15 gallons of the stuff each year so getting it for less than $24/gallon would certainly put a smile on my face even if the total savings for the year is only $150 or so...

I'll keep you posted...
    pull my finger....

No actually the cost on HP Injector from me is $24 a gallon. So what does the Merc oil have that Amsoil does not? You know that the MSDS's only list the HARZARDOUS componenets not all the ingrediants contained in the product. HP injector is not a petro based product so you will not see alot of listed ingrediants unless considered a hazard to health or the enviroment.
    Ok, I'm still learning, I only looked at whats provided from both Mercury DFI and Amsoil sites: as for the Proprietary Ingredients or the Proprietary Mixture... I can't find a release from Mercury or Amsoil because they don't release that Proprietary information; so to say one is better than the other...I guess it's just one opinion like the many we all seem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post

I'll make a few phone calls tomorrow...on a Friday before the holiday weekend I'm not expecting to get much done so if I strike out tomorrow I'll pick up again on Tuesday....

I'm not sure how Mercury is sold in this region, but if they use a local jobber and they are anything like Shell, Conoco, Chevron, BP, etc., they won't sell directly to anyone but will only refer you to a local jobber....worse case scenario is we find a distributer in the north west (Washington) that can get it to the port in Tacoma and I'm pretty sure I can get it up here for free....if the price in SE was $1320/drum then it should be less in the L48....I use approx. 15 gallons of the stuff each year so getting it for less than $24/gallon would certainly put a smile on my face even if the total savings for the year is only $150 or so...

I'll keep you posted...
    I sent you a PM on prices....as far as Amsoil they contain a higher level of anti corrision additives, a higher level of detergents and are made of pure synthethic stock, no petro base.

I will tell you from almost 40 years of personal use of Amsoil products, I have never seen any issues that were oil related. Even when I screwed up the Amsoil product had provided enough protection to allow a piston replacement vs a whole cylinder. I have never seen a problem with any flash rusting even after long term storage. When I was running my own repair shop I will tell that I could not always say the same for other products.