Thread: Prop pitch question

Default Prop pitch question

So I switched out my SS 14pitch with a wot of 5400 to a SS 13pitch with a wot of 5600. I am much more happy with the performance with a full load. My 50 honda has a max rpm of range of 5500-6100. My question is should I decrease my pitch one more time to 12 or just or will that decrease thrust when heavy. Thanks Ryan

That would depend oh the load you usually carry... Decreasing to 12 will get you closer to the max RPM range which is usually better when running heavy, might even try 11 if you're very heavy. Prop diameter also plays a role.
    For my boat (2 stroke Yamaha 40) I have two props - a larger diameter 11 pitch for running heavy and a smaller diameter 14 pitch for running light and fast. But I do overrev the motor with 11 though, so probably need a 12 and 14.
    The benefit of 11 for me is that I can stay on step at slower speeds and it pops up on step very quickly with full load.

Russiarulez hit the nail on the head. I would go down one more pitch just to get closer to the max rpm. That gives you the best combination of speed when light and power when loaded. Tyipcally if you're running below the max rpm and you drop a pitch or two you'll still be able to keep the top end speed as you achieve higher rpm but it will also give you better hole shot.

If you're doing alot of hauling though going down 2 pitches might be a good idea. You don't want to lug a motor down when hauling as that's how you wear them out. When doing alot of hauling its nice to have two props, one for hauling and one for running empty. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    So I switched out my SS 14pitch with a wot of 5400 to a SS 13pitch with a wot of 5600. I am much more happy with the performance with a full load. My 50 honda has a max rpm of range of 5500-6100. My question is should I decrease my pitch one more time to 12 or just or will that decrease thrust when heavy. Thanks Ryan
    You are within your WOT spec.....The 13 pitch may be a good all around choice, but having a 12 as a spare for that extra heavy load would not hurt. You may find that the 12 when running light may put you above the 6100 spec. Remember you are only gaining about 200 rpms per 1" drop in pitch.

If you can find a ProPulse prop you can adjust up to 7 pitch settings. Mine on the 115 gave me about a 1,400 rpm range @ WOT...takes 2 minutes to change for conditions without all the extra cost. However, if you are river bound most of the time this wouldn`t be the best solution...plastics hate rocks. So far I have run these props on a 40 and 115 and have no complaints...only compliments.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

exact same boat by two different people loaded and ran different will give different results, one pitch change shoould change WOT by 200 or so PRM, again thats changes too. have done lots of experments with piranha's and found a happy medium depending on what I was up too, heavey load, in river, light load, putting around or wanting to get there. so simple answer na