Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper River Dipnetting for 4th of July

Default Copper River Dipnetting for 4th of July

New to dipnetting. Just got my 1 year so I can do it! Any word on how river conditions on the copper is/ how the fish numbers are? I saw its open for sure through the 3rd and tentative on the 4th

Any tips/tricks? All new to this

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    New to dipnetting. Just got my 1 year so I can do it! Any word on how river conditions on the copper is/ how the fish numbers are? I saw its open for sure through the 3rd and tentative on the 4th

Any tips/tricks? All new to this
    Not saying you won't get any, but the numbers of late are quite low. They are starting to build, but I don't think it'll help July 4th. If you don't mind only getting some fish and mostly getting the experience in, it's probably as good a time as any to go, though. My best advice to maximize success would be to take Hem's charter out to a drop off point and follow their advice.

My best advice is to take life jackets and rope to tie off and use them. There will be fish going through - the question is how many.

Default Ssllooowww

We are currently in a 3 week slow phase. Take a look at the Trip Planner and apply your favorite theory. Right now it all looks slow for the 4th of July weekend.

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Not saying you won't get any, but the numbers of late are quite low. They are starting to build, but I don't think it'll help July 4th. If you don't mind only getting some fish and mostly getting the experience in, it's probably as good a time as any to go, though. My best advice to maximize success would be to take Hem's charter out to a drop off point and follow their advice.
    Alright, sweet. thanks for the advice. I'm gonna try my luck on the Russian this weekend then, and have a good time in Seward with the festivities. Is it smart to hold off for another week then? And just got the weekend of the 10-12?

they seem relatively level..? Should it pick up then?

Yeah, the numbers still haven't picked up as much as I would like to see. Check gr8fl's website (link in his signature) and watch the charts. When the colors start to show up, calculate fish travel time and then go when you think they may be in Chitina. There is no guaranteed way to predict how fast the fish will transit; typical guesses are 10 days to 2 weeks. I personally think it's usually closer to the 10 day mark, but I'm not a fish so what do I know.....

At this point, though, I wouldn't recommend the 10-12th, either. The numbers just aren't there yet. It could flip tomorrow and suddenly have 30 or 40,000 fish storm in, though. Never know.

Yeah, the numbers still haven't picked up as much as I would like to see. Check gr8fl's website (link in his signature) and watch the charts. When the colors start to show up, calculate fish travel time and then go when you think they may be in Chitina. There is no guaranteed way to predict how fast the fish will transit; typical guesses are 10 days to 2 weeks. I personally think it's usually closer to the 10 day mark, but I'm not a fish so what do I know.....

At this point, though, I wouldn't recommend the 10-12th, either. The numbers just aren't there yet. It could flip tomorrow and suddenly have 30 or 40,000 fish storm in, though. Never know.
    When do you think they'll come in that strong? I don't know much, obviously lol

When do you think they'll come in that strong? I don't know much, obviously lol
    I don't know. They may not. Some years it picks up to about 15k/day for a several weeks, and some years it stays slow and then has about a ten day run of really big numbers. Bottom line is until they hit, there's just no way to predict what's going to happen.

I'm guesstimating that within the next 4-5 days it's going to pick up and have good numbers for about ten days. If I'm right, then July 20-however long the surge lasts. If there's enough fish to support a second supplemental I may make another run there.

Here they come....

Here they come....
    HAHA I think this thread is good luck!! You in Anchorage? Want to go next weekend if the numbers continue to climb?

HAHA I think this thread is good luck!! You in Anchorage? Want to go next weekend if the numbers continue to climb?
    Not next weekend...lol. You have to be more patient with these fish. The numbers are still not great, they are just getting better. I like to see several days in a row of solid numbers (15,000+), then wait about ten days to go. The counter is way down river from Chitina and it takes the fish a while to get there. If they open a supplemental period (adding an extra 10 to your limit) then I'd be up for going again. Otherwise the trip wouldn't be worth it to me. So, I'm hoping they do, but there's no way to know. They have to have a surplus of 50,000 fish over their anticipated run to open that up.

Keep watching, though. That can happen in a couple of good days, and already did once this year.

Heading up tonight..
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I fished the canyon on Thursday, June 30 and we got two limits in 12 hours. I usually fish the Kenai but wanted to try the Copper River. Use the charter service (great folks), tie off with good rope, use a PFD, and take an extra net. I used the landing type net with a black net, and not the Kenai type monofilament net. The water moves fast and is very turbulent - the landing net remains open even though it gets pushed around by the water. Also, for $5 you can use their cleaning station at O'Brien Creek. Get there 3 am early and get in line for the charter - it starts at 5 am. I also decided to use 1/4" bolts for my net, extension, and handle sections - it worked. My fishing partner did not use bolts and lost his net section after the first 10 fish. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jphakala View Post
    I fished the canyon on Thursday, June 30 and we got two limits in 12 hours. I usually fish the Kenai but wanted to try the Copper River. Use the charter service (great folks), tie off with good rope, use a PFD, and take an extra net. I used the landing type net with a black net, and not the Kenai type monofilament net. The water moves fast and is very turbulent - the landing net remains open even though it gets pushed around by the water. Also, for $5 you can use their cleaning station at O'Brien Creek. Get there 3 am early and get in line for the charter - it starts at 5 am. I also decided to use 1/4" bolts for my net, extension, and handle sections - it worked. My fishing partner did not use bolts and lost his net section after the first 10 fish. Good Luck!
    That's pretty good. I wouldn't have expected that based on the numbers of the last few weeks. Then again, the river has had a steady flow of fish for more than a month now, and they don't all just cruise through, so there is probably a built-up in-river number at this point of the season. I think a lot of folks who wait until later in the summer do very well because of this factor that can't be counted or measured at this point.

Had to turn back over 10 kings yesterday.. It's was crazy! Everyone else seemed to be getting them and not us.. But on the boat is a blast!
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Had to turn back over 10 kings yesterday.. It's was crazy! Everyone else seemed to be getting them and not us.. But on the boat is a blast!
    How'd you do on the reds, though? That's the important part....

Quote Originally Posted by jphakala View Post
    Awesome! Thanks. Hope to slay them out there. Did the Kasliof this weekend. Got 5 between 2 of us with 3 days of fishing. Soo slowww.

According to Hem's hotline, it's still pretty slow. Average for clients for a full day of fishing is about 15 fish.

2 reds....
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast