Thread: White Mountain Caribou Herd

Default White Mountain Caribou Herd

Going to stop by the Fairbanks DNR tomorrow, but was looking for insight on the White Mountain herd for the August 10th hunt. I can make it there for 2 weekends in August, but know absolutely nothing about the area. From what I've read, sounds like a quota of 29 caribou has been set in past. Had a couple of questions about it:

How is the area in August? Overgrown/hard to hike?

Are ATV's aloud? Because if they are and there's only 29 permits, I'm not going to waste time having ATVer's get out far and me be stuck.

Is the terrain high enough to glass for the bou then stalk?

Any odds/ends regs I'm not seeing?

I see its open west of Preacher and North of Steese in 25C. But its also open East of Dalton in unit 20 as well. And all of 25D. Is there a "smarter/known" way to get to them? Ex. Hike/Bike/Drive

Please shoot me a PM or answer with any info that could help out. Thanks!!

It's a harvest ticket hunt, correct? I don't think the White Mountain hunt opens and closes like the Fortymile hunt, but of course I may be dead wrong about that. Even if they do cap it at 29.... well, it'll take three seasons for hunters to harvest that many(RC879 harvest total in 2009 was 10). Also, keep in mind that the trails off the Dalton/Elliot are recommended mostly for winter use. But good luck! Oh, and bring bug spray and extra socks.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I've got 3 white mnt caribou out of 25 yrs hunting up there, 1 I was really hunting for & the other two we went bird hunting & spotted them. there isn't a great number of them on the south side of the whites, they are around but not like the 40 mile heard. the main herd stays on the north side & there is no ATV access over there. if your like me , anything writen here wouldn't stop me from going anyway. good luck .

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    I've got 3 white mnt caribou out of 25 yrs hunting up there, 1 I was really hunting for & the other two we went bird hunting & spotted them. there isn't a great number of them on the south side of the whites, they are around but not like the 40 mile heard. the main herd stays on the north side & there is no ATV access over there. if your like me , anything writen here wouldn't stop me from going anyway. good luck .
    Good call. I'd get out there one way or the other. Pretty country to walk around in, whether there are any caribou or not. Take your gold pan!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I think you'd have better luck getting your questions answered at ADF&G rather than DNR.

Default White Mountain Herd

In his book - Caribou Hunting - Larry Bartlett has a short passage about the White Mountain herd. It is not very promising. We have hunted that area a little and we have always ignored the White Mountain caribou for all the reasons Larry enumerates.

Still, mighty pretty country.