Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free tool to receive sonar count updates

Default Free tool to receive sonar count updates

If you find yourself constantly checking the F&G sonar count website consider signing up to receive free dipnetting sonar count updates here http://www.nwds-ak.com/FishCount.aspx

This is provided as a free public service by the company I work for (NorthWest Data Solutions).
    I developed this web application and my boss agreed to provide the hosting.

This is a simple tool where you select the river and the notification threshold and put your email in.
    We will not use your email for anything other than sonar count notifications.

This was developed for local fishermen by local fishermen and we're not trying to make any $$ off of this.

I'm open to suggestions on additional features.

One feature that will be added soon is that the notification email will include tide information.

This looks really cool. I tested it on my phone and it's WAY faster than waiting for the F&G data to load, too.

Nice job!

Works great on my Torch.

Отлично!

An issue I've noticed already: this needs to be updated often. Right now it's a day behind on the Copper counter. If it does that on the Kenai counts, it's going to be basically useless as a tool for deciding when to go.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    An issue I've noticed already: this needs to be updated often. Right now it's a day behind on the Copper counter. If it does that on the Kenai counts, it's going to be basically useless as a tool for deciding when to go.
    It pulls data from F&G once a day in the evening, so whatever is available that day gets pulled.

I just checked and the last entry for Copper river is June 26 on F&G website (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...=420&YEAR=2011), so it's lagging by two days.
    We display the same data.

The only lag that we might have is when F&G posts something in the morning and we only update in the evening same day, but we can fix that by pulling data twice a day.

Thanks for the feedback.

P.S. I updated the application scheduler and now it will pull data twice a day from F&G's website.

Good job!!! Rep points coming your way. Those points and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee, BTW!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I repped him too.

And since Coho started it about something that's free how about Fish Creek counts too, если ты можешь пожалуйста?

Thanks for the comments guys, it's nice to see that someone is using this app.

I added Fish Creek to the list of choices, although the count isn't active yet for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
    It pulls data from F&G once a day in the evening, so whatever is available that day gets pulled.

I just checked and the last entry for Copper river is June 26 on F&G website (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...=420&YEAR=2011), so it's lagging by two days.
    We display the same data.

The only lag that we might have is when F&G posts something in the morning and we only update in the evening same day, but we can fix that by pulling data twice a day.

Thanks for the feedback.

P.S. I updated the application scheduler and now it will pull data twice a day from F&G's website.
    Ahh, I found the problem. Try this website for more up-to-date info: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...mon_escapement

You might want to pull data from there instead, as it's updated more frequently, at least with the Copper River (it has data from yesterday, the 27th).

Since the Kenai isn't up yet it's hard to say how that'll work.

Not being critical at all, btw. Just trying to help make this a better tool. I was probably the first one to give you rep for this.

Thanks for the time and effort you've put into this!

Coho, thanks for the info, I'll take a look at the commercial counts.

I didn't take your feedback as criticism, so no worries. I'm actually happy that someone is using this and has feedback on how to improve it, so thanks!

Several people suggested that an email confirmation should be sent when signing up for the service.

I just added it. now it will email a confirmation to the email address provided at signup.

I feel slighted!!! I never received an e-mail after I signed up? What is up with that?
    Good job, dude!!!! Please pass on to your owners that all dippers do appreciate the info and your effort!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I added another feature to the Alaska Dipnetting FishCount application - now you can edit/delete your existing notification subscriptions.
    Just go to http://www.nwds-ak.com/FishCount.aspx and click the "Click here to edit your existing subscription" link under the "Sign Up" button.

I also added links to F&G sonar counts and tide info.

We have over 70 people signed up so far, I hope you all like the app.

Sweet. Helps me to actualy make my run to chitna or kenai

I just signed up.

A couple of more suggestions for you:

First, and I guess this isn't a suggestion so much as a notification, I never got an alert today for the Copper River that I should have.

Which brings me to my actual suggestion: Since Fish and Game doesn't update everyday at the exact same time, if your query in the morning is before when they post it, then the entire day can pass before your data gets caught up. I don't know how complicated it is or would be, but I'd suggest downloading their data every half an hour. Maybe program something in that recognizes a change in data, which could then trigger a stop to the downloads until the following day?

Basically, you're tool is still sometimes behind, not always, but if F&G posts new numbers after your program has already checked for new data, it stays that way all day.

Signed up yesterday and got a Chitina notification... thanks!!!

A couple of more suggestions for you:

First, and I guess this isn't a suggestion so much as a notification, I never got an alert today for the Copper River that I should have.

Which brings me to my actual suggestion: Since Fish and Game doesn't update everyday at the exact same time, if your query in the morning is before when they post it, then the entire day can pass before your data gets caught up. I don't know how complicated it is or would be, but I'd suggest downloading their data every half an hour. Maybe program something in that recognizes a change in data, which could then trigger a stop to the downloads until the following day?

Basically, you're tool is still sometimes behind, not always, but if F&G posts new numbers after your program has already checked for new data, it stays that way all day.
    Thanks for the feedback Coho. The scheduler runs every 12 hours, so basically 2 times a day.
    I'm not sure why you never got an alert email (check your spam box maybe?)
    if you pm me your email, I can take a look at it (also let me know the date when you think the email should've went out) and see if there were any errors that day.

I've been trying to keep up with the "logic" behind F&G's count export feature, by updating my code almost daily, since it came out to be not as clear cut as I thought first (for example in the morning they might post a count of "0" and then update it later in the day, or update a count that was posted a month ago for some reason, and etc..).

We have over 130 people signed up so far!

I'm still not getting notifications. I went in and edited my settings, too, just to make sure it was where I thought it was. Not sure what's up there, since I should have gotten notifications every day for the Copper River the last 6 days or something. I may have confused it, though, because I think I signed up twice. I'll tinker with it some more...I probably did something to screw it up...lol.

I'm still not getting notifications. I went in and edited my settings, too, just to make sure it was where I thought it was. Not sure what's up there, since I should have gotten notifications every day for the Copper River the last 6 days or something. I may have confused it, though, because I think I signed up twice. I'll tinker with it some more...I probably did something to screw it up...lol.
    Coho, feel free to email me alex@nwds-ak.com and I'll take a look at what might be the issue there. I know that other people are getting their notifications, so there's something not right about yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast