Thread: Denali/Cantwell area fishing?

Default Denali/Cantwell area fishing?

my father in law is taking my boys camping up at riley creek campground at denali park, they'd flip a lid if they could find a couple creeks with grayling in them on their trip...anyone have an ideas that i could pass on to them?
    thanks guys/gals
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Why not go down a lil farther to the Denali hwy? Good grayling fishing
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

apparently he might have to for fish..no one seems to know about fish up that way...
    Master guide 212

I work in the park and can tell you that fishing opportunities are few and far between. There are grayling in almost every clearwater stream in the park but they are not as prevalent as in other areas of the state. The closest place for them to go and fish is Riley Creek which is an easy walk from their campsite.

Riley is very swift with not much good holding water but if they are willing to walk a bit there is a great hole about 1/2 mile up the north side of the Triple Lakes Trail in the park that will hold fish sometimes.

Another option is to hike out to the middle lake of the three lakes on triple lakes, starting from the south side this is about a 2 mile hike. This lake has a decent population of smallish grayling that are easily caught on very small spinners or top water flies such as the elk hair caddis.

thank for you much for the information...i appreciate you takin' the time!
    Master guide 212

PM Sent...

I will most likely hit the Denali Highway area this weekend also from the Cantwell side. Havn't been in the area before to fish and will be mostly driving and stopping and fishing any place that looks promising, stop and stay where ever is convienant and reasonable, with the motorhome and boat. Looking for greyling and trout. Was planning to do the same over Memorial Day but postponed it due to the bad conditions reported that early in the year. Any suggestions also appreciated. Bud