Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai C&R under 55"/ No Bait until 7-15

Default Kenai C&R under 55"/ No Bait until 7-15

Is there a map associated with this?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

This does not come as a surprise at all.We can only hope that more kings will begin their journey up-river (that's if there are more on their way).Thanks for the heads up...........

Good call....

Unfortunately they're gonna miss the boat for Slikok without extending all the way down to Sunken. 300 yds only captures the existing Slikok Sanctuary.

Hoping peer pressure gets folks to lay off the fire engines that'll staging there for the next 3-4 weeks.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Look on page 48 in the regs.Slikok Creek is at river mile 19 just below the college.That means unless there are more restrictions- the lower river (below rm 19)might still open for bait July 1st.Heavy emphasis on maybe.Of course F&G may shut the whole river down like last June,2010.

Default Boundaries are pretty easy to spot.... even without a map.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Is there a map associated with this?
    Basically its the lower boundary of the existing Slikok Sanctuary above RM 18 (300 yds below Slikok Creek mouth) near the college all the way up to Skilak Lake... PLUS the Moose River mouth area (lower 100 yds of the Moose) where it meets the big river in Sterling.

The Slikok Sanctary is very well marked with prominent signs.

The Sterling Hwy ia an indisputable landmark as well.

Skilak is the first major lake upriver at about RM 50 or so... can't miss it.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Thanks Doc
    I didn't get as specific as yourself---don't want anyone to go to the "dark side" of the EO.Appreciate the clarification.

I wish they would not let bait allowed on Kenai. Every river guide that has a client, boat a hen tells them to keep it. They need bait for the next few days. They closed the Anchor, Ninilchik and Deep Creek, but the 2 rivers that support river guides they always keep open. I love fishing the Kenai River especially on Mondays. I just hope there are some big king salmon to catch out there when my son owns his own boat. We need to give the Kenai River a break. The King run is weak.....shut it down. We have beat this river to death in the last 30 years. It should be 1 king salmon a year. How long has it been 2? Every one with a fishing license over 60 goes and gets a new harvest card when theirs is full. The guides should only on the river 4 days a week. NO BAIT! If we are going to let the handful of familys continue to catch KING SALMON IN THEIR SETNETS We have to cutback the pressure on the river fish. It all revolves around the almighty dollar but we can save these fish. We have the largest King Salmon in the world here. LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

All this will do is get all the up river guides fishing the lower river. Why don't they just limit the bait to everything but eggs, this would keep the guides from bonking all the hens.

Quote Originally Posted by big moosie View Post
    All this will do is get all the up river guides fishing the lower river. Why don't they just limit the bait to everything but eggs, this would keep the guides from bonking all the hens.
    Based on my on-the-water observations over 4 decades, bonkin' hens is NOT unique to guides.

That said, if there ever was a sorry-*** excuse as the primary reason for bonkin' a Kenai king, "I need the eggs" tops them all.
    The KeenEye MD

Only king salmon less than 20 inches in length or 55 inches or greater in length may be retained. King salmon 20 inches or greater in length and less than 55 inches in length may not be possessed or retained, may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately from 12:01 a.m., Wednesday, June 29, through 11:59 p.m., Thursday, July 14, 2011.

This may create some confusion for outfitters whose base of operations are within the area affected by the EO. They must transit BELOW the Skilak Sanctuary to participate in the unrestricted fishery. What happens to a boat with fish between 20" and 55" on board going back thru that area on the way home? Is this a violation? Is it good enough to simply say I caught these downriver? Or will all those upriver boats that plan on keeping these fish have to launch below Slikok?

In my neck of the woods, enforcement folks are OK with transitting thru a restricted area with fish that are not legal to keep in said area. But as soon as rods are deployed in that area, the fish on board are immediately deemed illegal to possess. Not sure how they will enforce the EO, but this sure seems reasonable.
    The KeenEye MD

OK that puts 300 guide boats and 50 non guide boats on the lower part of the river. And if you have ever fished the upper river you will not see very many guide's.90% fish the lower part of the river. THE guides are the one's killing the king run,s on the river. The Fish and game could have stopped this years ago by limiting the number of guides. I have lived on the river and fished it for 35yrs and watched the size of the and number of Kings decline. The guides fish the river almost every day they no where and when the fish will be there when you do the same thing every day you get very good at it.I have set in on some of the Fish and game meetings and suggested ways to limit the guides butt the do nothing. Last year they shut down the river and the guides had a fit so FG reopened the river. Now the Kasilof river the FG is going to KILL it to I got feed up with the Kenai that i built a drift boat started fishing the Kasilof river 20yrs ago and there wear very few boats but still 200 fisherman on the bank. The last time I drifted the Kasilof I counted 48 guide boats and 2 unguided boats and that was the morning drift most make 2 drifts a day! Now back to the FG a few years ago on sound off on KSRM they had a Guest on the show he was the head of the kenai river and people started calling in and asking him about the river and he could not answer there questions so one caller ask him how long he has lived i Alaska and he said he had just moved up from the lower 48.He may qualifed Biologist but people and biologist that lived on the Kenai still dont now every thing on the king runs on the river. One more thing if you have boat put it in at moose river and drift to swift water it looks like LA freeway with all all the sings dont do this and dont do that I will bet all those sings and labor to put them up cost us 1mill+ what a waste and a eye sore. You can justify any way you want but you no it is a big part of the problem . JUST MY OPINION!!! FG on hunting in unit 15 is BS.

Quote Originally Posted by hookedoo View Post
    OK that puts 300 guide boats and 50 non guide boats on the lower part of the river. And if you have ever fished the upper river you will not see very many guide's.90% fish the lower part of the river. THE guides are the one's killing the king run,s on the river. The Fish and game could have stopped this years ago by limiting the number of guides. I have lived on the river and fished it for 35yrs and watched the size of the and number of Kings decline. The guides fish the river almost every day they no where and when the fish will be there when you do the same thing every day you get very good at it.I have set in on some of the Fish and game meetings and suggested ways to limit the guides butt the do nothing. Last year they shut down the river and the guides had a fit so FG reopened the river. Now the Kasilof river the FG is going to KILL it to I got feed up with the Kenai that i built a drift boat started fishing the Kasilof river 20yrs ago and there wear very few boats but still 200 fisherman on the bank. The last time I drifted the Kasilof I counted 48 guide boats and 2 unguided boats and that was the morning drift most make 2 drifts a day! Now back to the FG a few years ago on sound off on KSRM they had a Guest on the show he was the head of the kenai river and people started calling in and asking him about the river and he could not answer there questions so one caller ask him how long he has lived i Alaska and he said he had just moved up from the lower 48.He may qualifed Biologist but people and biologist that lived on the Kenai still dont now every thing on the king runs on the river. One more thing if you have boat put it in at moose river and drift to swift water it looks like LA freeway with all all the sings dont do this and dont do that I will bet all those sings and labor to put them up cost us 1mill+ what a waste and a eye sore. You can justify any way you want but you no it is a big part of the problem . JUST MY OPINION!!! FG on hunting in unit 15 is BS.
    Spell check please, my head hurts reading this.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

ok hooked00 I am glad you have an opinion and voice it, however it is very misguided. There isn't 300 guides this year for one thing, check your numbers, and do you really think it is the guides killing all the fish? Look at catch rates........they suck! Guides don't want to kill fish because if the fish aren't there then guess what, they are out of a job. It doesn't matter how good guides are, if there is no fish in the river you can't catch it. If you want an idea were the fish are going, simple go look in the inlet.........bet you will see some thing out there.

There is a reason why it went to CNR instead of closed like last year.............it wasn't the guides who had a fit it was the comm guys. If the river is closed they can't fish either so if you make it CNR then dunt da dun the comm guys can still fish.
    Why do the comm guys get a bigger piece of the pie???????? Because us dumb people can't get our act together and in numbers to lobby the boards for a bigger piece...........and by us I mean guides, sport fish, and subsistance users!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guides and sport fishing threw tourisim bring in just as much money to the state and towns as the commercial guys do. But because they are better organized and better represented they get what they ask for.

Now for ADFG........they do a pretty good job considering what has been handed to them. You can't win a card game when the cards you were delt stink. They know fish runs are in trouble, but if they cut every one off that will put a major hurt on the state and towns, and I am sure there is other reasons I am not aware of, so they try and manage what few fish we do have.

For me I might have to move to Wash. or Or. to catch a fish.........pretty bad when the fishing down there seems to better then up here.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Why do the comm guys get a bigger piece of the pie???????? Because us dumb people can't get our act together and in numbers to lobby the boards for a bigger piece...........and by us I mean guides, sport fish, and subsistance users!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me I might have to move to Wash. or Or. to catch a fish.........pretty bad when the fishing down there seems to better then up here.
    Have you ever caught fish with a gillnet or seen it done in a commercial way? Where the fish are quickly bled and iced, kept in premium condition?

Compare that to an industry that as an example (though it fishes statewide) pimps out half of the river caught kenai kings to a clientelle that is almost exclusively nonresidents of Alaska, and does so in a way that saturates rivers with boat traffic and heavily exploits the areas specific populations of kings are most likely to be holding on their way upriver.

Jsut because they're using poles it's still commercial. And it has more to do with why all Alaskans are becoming more restricted with what we can catch and keep from rivers, especially with kings. Look at the Anchor, Kasilof, and Kenai King runs, and subtract all of the guide-allocated to nonresident fish that are caught from the harvest.

Suddenly in river returns are looking an awful lot better for the resident angler to harvest fish.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    Have you ever caught fish with a gillnet or seen it done in a commercial way? Where the fish are quickly bled and iced, kept in premium condition?

Compare that to an industry that as an example (though it fishes statewide) pimps out half of the river caught kenai kings to a clientelle that is almost exclusively nonresidents of Alaska, and does so in a way that saturates rivers with boat traffic and heavily exploits the areas specific populations of kings are most likely to be holding on their way upriver.

If you really think the fishing is better in washington, by all means have at it. But know that most of the washington fisherman are up here from Ketchikan to Bristol Bay with their boats and commercial gillnets. It's reality.
    As a matter of fact I have, and yeah guides pimp out a river, comm guys pimp out the salt, no different. Also you can't argue with bycatch no matter how much you try to minimize it. At least 90 percent of the guides working the river live here, can't say that about the comm fleet. Like you said the guys from down south are up here.......wonder why??????? Maybe because there is to many "nets to get past just to set they're nets".

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    At least 90 percent of the guides working the river live here".
    Just wondering where you got this stat?

parks and rec.

Thanks.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast