Thread: Main Bay Reds

Default Main Bay Reds

Anyone been poking around down there and picking them up? It seems like it should be about that time of year. Also if someone happens to have the website for the commercial openers bookmarked I'd appreciate it if you could post that as well, I've been digging through AF&G website and can't seem to find it.

Tight lines!

Default they are in...

but so are commercial fishermen. Fished there last weekend and snagged 8 on overnight at LOW tide. Had to skiff in to head of bay and cross several nets by lifting outboard. Not full of fish but they are BRIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowmo View Post
    but so are commercial fishermen. Fished there last weekend and snagged 8 on overnight at LOW tide. Had to skiff in to head of bay and cross several nets by lifting outboard. Not full of fish but they are BRIGHT!
    The commerical guys were out in full force. They get mad when you cross over their nets but sometimes you can not help it. they have the entire channel covered. Madness.

Default I was there yesterday

I got in the bay about an hour after the commercial guys opened on Thursday morning, so there were good schools of reds all over. We got 30 in less than two hours.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

Where is main bay at?

Here's my latest fishing report for Alaska Dispatch with some current info on Main Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Here's my latest fishing report for Alaska Dispatch with some current info on Main Bay.
    Maybe I'm just slow, but how do you find the second part of your report? I didn't see a continue or next page button or anything like that.

It's being posted tonight. (I'm a slow writer)...

lol

That certainly explains why I couldn't find it, then.

Nice reports, though. Not just the ADN's new reports as reported to them by local businesses. No bias there....

Not to knock your previous employer, but that's not the most accurate way to get information.

You may knock away at the ADN because it's sad what's become of the once-mighty newspaper. That's why I'm writing for Alaska Dispatch.

And thanks for the compliment. I am trying to confirm "best bets" for the month based on my limited knowledge, and data from ADF&G. The biologists have been very helpful.

FYI, my "fishing report" at the beginning of the month doesn't pretend to sum up ALL the possibilities there are out there, just the ones that may help people "get on fish"...

We were out in Main Bay around the 27th, and I think we ended up with 35 reds. I am sure those out there this weekend got plenty of fish.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    We were out in Main Bay around the 27th, and I think we ended up with 35 reds. I am sure those out there this weekend got plenty of fish.
    How do you catch the reds out there, anyway? Is it just snagging?

Was out there yesterday (Sunday) and the reds were fairly thick, no commercial opener. Had better luck when the tide was out and of the 10-15 boats out there everyone seemed to get fish. There seemed to be a big school of them circling the bay nearest the hatchery and all a person had to do was cast a their lead baited hook into the middle of them for a hook up. Did catch a few of them that were beat up pretty bad, maybe by sea lions? Great day.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    How do you catch the reds out there, anyway? Is it just snagging?
    I am curious about how Hookemup was catching them. The lure that seemed to work best for me is the one we call the 'silver spider', which is a treble hook with a weight in the middle.

The damage I noticed on the fish was from the gill nets. I think that also accounts for the number of smaller fish, as they are able to make it though the nets.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Jrogers, I was using the same hooks you were. I was amazed at how big a few of the reds were that we picked up, they were nearly Silver sized.

Part II of my fishing report for Alaska Dispatch on newsstands!

I am curious about how Hookemup was catching them. The lure that seemed to work best for me is the one we call the 'silver spider', which is a treble hook with a weight in the middle.

The damage I noticed on the fish was from the gill nets. I think that also accounts for the number of smaller fish, as they are able to make it though the nets.
    Man, I'm jealous. I was at Fee's Fish Processing in Whittier a couple days ago watching him fillet some of those reds. They are huge! I have got to get a boat....

Speaking of boats, Jrogers, were you jigging for herring on Sunday afternoon? Saw a boat that looks a lot like yours off the ferry dock area, but couldn't tell if it was a Seawolf or a lookalike....

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Speaking of boats, Jrogers, were you jigging for herring on Sunday afternoon? Saw a boat that looks a lot like yours off the ferry dock area, but couldn't tell if it was a Seawolf or a lookalike....
    Depends on which Sunday you are talking about. If it was this last Sunday (7/3) it was not me, I was over in Seward. If it was the week before, it might have been me.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Depends on which Sunday you are talking about. If it was this last Sunday (7/3) it was not me, I was over in Seward. If it was the week before, it might have been me.
    Wasn't you, then....lol. 7/3 is when I was talking about. Very similar looking boat, whoever it was.