Thread: How do you Cure SINGLE Salmon Eggs for trout and dollies???

Default How do you Cure SINGLE Salmon Eggs for trout and dollies???

So I caught a hen king last week and tried to use the Pro Cure Wizard product and ended up with tiny spheres of goop. I was using their "jar method".

What works best for all of you out there in Cyberia? I'm just looking for a SINGLE firm egg that is castable. I don't mind making a cure recipe from scrach, and I don't care about the color too much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I tried Pro-cure last year and ended up with goop too.

Pautzke's and Nates bait cures I tried this year and the eggs seem to be much firmer.

Never done it but I would geuss you follow the instructions on the cure jars and try to keep the entire mixture as dry as you can. (i.e. soak up any extra liquid before and after the cure process) and then let the separated cured eggs dry for a couple couple hours/days they would look alot like the eggs you get in a jar.

Also just by way of note - freezing cured eggs will turn them to goopy too.

also from what i've heard try to get a cure with a natural or no color for trout/dollies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    I tried Pro-cure last year and ended up with goop too.

Pautzke's and Nates bait cures I tried this year and the eggs seem to be much firmer.

Never done it but I would geuss you follow the instructions on the cure jars and try to keep the entire mixture as dry as you can. (i.e. soak up any extra liquid before and after the cure process) and then let the separated cured eggs dry for a couple couple hours/days they would look alot like the eggs you get in a jar.

Also just by way of note - freezing cured eggs will turn them to goopy too.

also from what i've heard try to get a cure with a natural or no color for trout/dollies.
    I used both of those cures on my last batch and came out with nice firm eggs. I think it depends on how much cure you use as well. I dried them before and after and then froze them. They are a little softer than store bought eggs but still hold up pretty decent.

As far as the singles I ended up with a hand full of them that just didnt hold the skeins. I left em in the bottom of the container and will probably use them for trout and what not later.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

You can just lay the roe out and put rock salt on them and have them sit outside for a few hours, then rotate and salt them again. After a few more hours they are done. They will firm up and be easy to work with.

thanks for the advice guys, time to go back to the lab now, mwah ha ha

I use the old 20 mule team stuff. BORAX!!! Just like the salt above but with borax instead.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?