Thread: Kenai Lake camping?

Default Kenai Lake camping?

I'm supposed to be camping on Kenai Lake, somewhere off Snug Harbor Road, this weekend. I've never been there, any experiences, advice, warnings, etc. would be appreciated.
    This is just an easy car/tent trip, supposed to be somewhere right on the shoreline.
    Thanks

Yes, there are some nice little spots right on the water, just down snug harbor.
    I was 4 wheeling out there one time and we came across a campfire that some idiot did not put out correctly. Well it had turned into a small forest fire so we called 911 and proceded to try and put it out with anything we could find until the fire truck got there. When they arrived they proceeded to blame us for starting the fire!! It turned into a screaming match but they finaly came around.
    Have fun

Cool, thanks.
    I like to think we're responsible campers. Shouldn't have any fire issues. Just looking for some sunshine and solitude. My wife likes to be on the water. To be honest, she likes to be in an RV, so the more pleasant the tent camping the better for my son and I since we don't own one.

If you are going to the spot I think you are going to there will be no solitude, unfortunatley. I used to camp there until everyone and there brother found out about it. Now I launch the boat at Quartz creek boat launch and head to the middle of the lake. I camped Kenai Lake last weekend in the spot me and a couple of friends have been using for the past 6 years. We could see the spot off Snug Harbor from there and it got packed fast. Someone was running a wheeler all night until 2am or so.

My advice would be to get there as early as you can to get a good spot, on one of the ends of the strip of beach would be best. Good luck and have a great weekend.

Yeah, everybody and their brother will be in that area this weekend. If you're not already parked in a campground, they will be full by morning, assuming they aren't already. Two summers ago we loaded up with the intention of camping in that region for the Independence weekend and when we arrived in the area Friday evening, we drove from campground to campground from Cooper Landing all the way to Lower Skilak. Every single campground was totally full. So we ended up driving back home.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for all the help, had me worried at first. Most of what everyone said ended up being true. We got to the spot right around noon on Friday. It seemed crowded at the time, I underestimated what crowded was. Luckily my son and I got a spot that was tucked in towards the end of the driveable area. We only had one other campsite visible to us. Almost the solitude I was looking for. We did have the 4 wheeler with the three boys on it going back and forth all day. Not at night though, and they were slow and friendly. No loud music on our end. Not too bad overall. The party definately picked up on Saturday after the rain stopped. We watched the boatload go across the lake and do a Knob Creek mad minute for about 30 minutes. Not sure what they were shooting at. Didn't sound sober, that concerned me with the shooting and the boating involved. Canoeing the next day we saw they definately didn't clean up there mess from the shooting. Shells everywhere along the beach.

All in all not a bad spot. Found some better ones while we were out there, for next time. Beautiful lake.

Ryan