Thread: Getting to the Saltry

Default Getting to the Saltry

I would like to go to Halibut cove this weekend to eat at the Saltry. Any advice or warnings I should know about? Thanks.

You want to enter from the W side, if you enter fomr the E side on less than high tide, there is a shoal that I confirmed is there with a prop :O
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I would like to go to Halibut cove this weekend to eat at the Saltry. Any advice or warnings I should know about?
    This may sound strange but I would call the Saltry and see if you need a reservation. The bulk of the Saltry's business comes from the Danny J Ferry. I think when people book the ferry ride over to Halibut Cove, they also book for dinner as well. If it is a full load of people on the ferry, the Saltry may be full for the evening.

Doug

Yes the saltry requires reservations.
    I call it a phoofy restaurant. Meals cost $25+ each and are served covered with some fancy sauces whose name you can barely pronounce.
    The floating Kaladi brothers is good though.
    A better bet is the tidepool cafe in Seldovia.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I have been wanting to go to Seldovia. Is it pretty easy to get there?

It is a heck of a swim across the bay - boat or plane makes it easier.........

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMonkey View Post
    I have been wanting to go to Seldovia. Is it pretty easy to get there?
    If you have a boat suitable for K-bay, no problem getting to Seldovia. There are quite a few neat inlets and bays on that side of K-bay, well worth spending some time exploring. We've only been there once for Labor Day weekend, and most of the seasonal places were shutting down.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    It is a heck of a swim across the bay - boat or plane makes it easier.........
    I guess I should have said I have a 20ft SeaRunner. I fish out of Homer on the bluff side, just never made it over to the Seldovia side. I wanted to see iff I could get some first hand information.

I run over to Seldovia often inmy 16' Sea Runner with no problems if the water and wind is calm. When the wind kicks up in the afternoons I have had to turn around a few times when I was about 3/4 the way there but usually it is a very nice ride. Of course ALWAYS check the weather before you leave the harbor.

Shouldn't be a problem, weather permitting. You can run through Eldred Passage which is fairly protected, and if things really kick up, you can hide out in Jackaloff Bay.

Right on sounds fun!

When I'm out with the whole family we stop in Seldovia for lunch or dinner. If I'm trying to catch a tide I pull out the to go menus from my glove box and we phone our order in when were leaving the Homer harbor, Its ready by the time we get there. The Mad Fish restaurant is at the top of the walking ramp from the harbor. It only takes a couple of minutes to run up grab our food and get back to the boat. The family gets a nice hot meal, and I get more time to fish.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Yes Seldovia is a fun trip. Should be no problem in your boat weather permitting. My dad has done it several times in his 20' lund Alaskan.
    As a reminder you need to call the harbormaster in Seldovia and obtain permission to enter and park. They usually will tell you where they would like you to park.
    I prefer the Tidepool restauraunt to the mad fish but have no complaints against the mad fish.You can also get some good icecream cones at the seaparrot inn and they rent atv's/utv's as well.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Should try and hit both. The Saltery is certainly phoofy, but very good. Its super nice to stop in for a bowl of chowder at lunch and sit around their little firepit, then go for a walk through the art galleries and grab a coffee before heading back out into the bay. The Kaladi brothers is no longer floating on the dock, but is now on the boardwalk.

Love Seldovia too, its a cool place to stay over as well. Wouldn't want to choose one over the other, but suggest folks enjoy both often.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.