Thread: Gunners first Bear

Default Gunners first Bear

Gunner and I decided to go give unit 16 a try for black bears. Turned out to be a good decision. First day I shot a 5'11" bear we jumped in the brush.

The second day we were watching and waiting for about 2 hrs and I decided to try calling. Rabbit in distress call took about 10 min to bring in a real nice bear. Gunners squared 6'8".

Gunner is 8 now and this is his third big game animal. Hopefully we can find him a nice ram this fall.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Nicely done! That's great that you were able to call one in, and jumping one out of the thick brush that makes up Unit 16 is great as well. Congrats to the young hunter, and thanks for doing the work necessary to expose a young man to the outdoors. Great stuff!

Calling in a big bear like that sounds exciting. Did he come in like a freight train or was he cautious? Sounds like you and the boy had a great time. I have never seen a bear while out working the woods. That is amazing to me. I've seen them up on hillsides and such, but never have come across one in the thick stuff. Very cool.
    ARR

Way to go to the dad and son team. Congrats Gunner, good luck on your ram hunt coming up!!!

Nice first bear looks like a pretty big head to I'd guess 18 3/4" to 19"
    Chuck

Thats pretty cool I keep trying to call them in but never have any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Calling in a big bear like that sounds exciting. Did he come in like a freight train or was he cautious? Sounds like you and the boy had a great time. I have never seen a bear while out working the woods. That is amazing to me. I've seen them up on hillsides and such, but never have come across one in the thick stuff. Very cool.
    ARR
    To be honest we didnt see him come in. I had just looked down for a second and when I looked up he was right in front of us. We were up in a tree calling and the bear looked confused as to why there was a distressed rabbit up in a tree.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Congrats to you both. It is a great thing you and your son are experiencing. But you already know that. I have seen many parents wonder why their kids wont hunt with them when the kids are 18 because the parents wanted free time to hunt without the kids during the kids developmental years. My hat is off to you.
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.