Thread: Red algae bloom in PWS

Default Red algae bloom in PWS

While in Harrison Laggon and Barry arm this weekend the whole arm was a red brown which eventually spread all the way out past the reef and to the lagoon. In thirty years of playing in the sound I have never witnessed water this color. The were no sea otters in Barry arm at all which was a first so I guess they didn't like what ever was causing the water change. When the red water moved out to where I was shrimping the shrimping was over as in empty pots. I called and reported to DEC who said they were flying over tommorrow and would try to sample. Just thought I would pass it on not necessarily PSP but just in case. It does not get into shrimp by the way.

WOW. Thanks for the info. I hope they figure out what it is soon and announce it on the news.

Not red tide? No algae bloom right now?

Yep, the entire Valdez Arm was solid red yesterday. Though there were plenty of gulls, seals, and sea otters out playing in it.

It's mostly cleared up today.

Not so much as a single solitary sign of a salmon in Port Valdez yet.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Red Tide

It's back in Valdez Arm pretty good today. Not as bad as a couple days ago, but still a lot of red.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

From up Port Well to Valdez, looks like it is everywhere. So what does this mean? I remember seeing all of Resurrection Bay engulfed in a red tide back in the early 70s or late 60s, so this has happened before. I understand shell fish can retain the toxin for up to a year so guess we will not be eating our favorite butter clams from around the sound.
    I wouldn’t think a red tide would have much effect on shrimp because they are so deep, hopefully F&G will have input on this at some point.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Any update on this?