Thread: Cold Weather Shooting

Default Cold Weather Shooting

Guys,

Need some advice. Several months back I was wolf hunting in BC and my semi auto rifle froze up solid. I think it was because of the moisture thru my gloves or thru my clothing. How can I keep this from happening again? Would a bolt or pump action rifle operate better in cold, cold weather, like 25 below? I am going on a another winter hunt, and want to make sure when I pull the trigger, I get the results intended.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Born2hunt View Post
    Would a bolt or pump action rifle operate better in cold, cold weather, like 25 below?
    ........Yes.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have posted this here before.

Cold Weather Firearms Lube Test.
    Negative 10 to Negative 65 F.

Shooter Choice FP-10 Works very well in ARs and bolt guns. Good to-50
    Terta Gun Lube Thicker, works well on crew full auto weapons
    G96 Gun treatment Comes as a spray, very light, bolts guns to -65

Penn Synthetic Reel Oil
    P/N 92340 Very Fluid, Extremely slippery good to -65 (pistols and bolt guns)
    Marvel Mystery Oil Very fluid, Very slippery good to -40, burns away on full auto guns once they are very hot.

3 in 1 Oil Fairly fluid, somewhat slippery gums at -20 Mixes with powder residue and turns gummy.
    LPS-2 Fairly Fluid, somewhat slippery gums at -20
    Klean-Bore Formula 3 Some separation, fairly fluid, somewhat slippery
    Tri-Flow Separated, does not adhere or film on metal
    Break-Free Separated, somewhat tacky and semi syrup like
    Mil TECH, Thick, somewhat tacky, syrup like
    Outers Gun Oil Very thick syrup. Tacky
    Mil spec MIL4-46000c Lube Oil Separated, some was in thick jell state.
    Rem Oil Thick jell, tacky
    Boe Shield T-9 Thick Jell, tacky, Dries to a film in warmer temps.
    Corrosion X HD Thick jell, tacky
    Ballistol very thick jell. Separation
    Exxon Elite 20-50 Syn Av Oil Very Thick, glue like
    AeroShell 15-50 Semi Syn Av Oil Very thick, glue like
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I guess it would depend on the semi-auto. Never had any issues with Break-free on a Daewoo K2 down to -35 and that's while riding a sno-go with it slung on my back getting gunked up with snow.
    Now what ?

Float Pilot, have you heard of 'Frog Lube'? I've been doing some reading and a few guys whose opinion I trust on other forums are having good results with it...but no cold weather testing as of late. If I end up getting some of this stuff, I'll send some your way too if you can report back in the same fashion you have done in the past (which was great, BTW)...

On another forum I read, Breakfree CLP was touted as being good on ARs. I am using it on mine now. Supposed to be good in the cold.
    It is often recommended to remove all lube for cold weather ops.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Two years ago I spent 10 days in the Pamirs Mountains on horseback and in tents at 0 to 20 below. I took a bolt action rifle and in preparation for the anticipated environmental challenges I completely stripped any and all lube from the trigger, action, firing pin and spring and anything else I could find that was lubed. I did use a little dry moly powder. I had no mechanical problems with my rifle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

We use to have problems at 20 below and colder with a browning semi auto for geese. We started by running a few cups of gas into it and then putting it in the back of the pickup on the way to the river. We never put it back in the heated cab until done hunting. Flushing your shotgun is gas is probably not recommended by anyone but it worked very well. Note the gun was not shot for more than an hour after the gas flush/lube.

Float Pilot, have you heard of 'Frog Lube'?
    Ah... that reminds me a a week I spent in France....

Yeap, heard of it but have not been able to find any yet to test.
    I have also been testing another Aeroshell product but I was never able to get it down below 20 below zero this last winter..
    In the test I have been doing using ARs, I have been leaving a 5.56 and a 6.8mm AR out all night if possible or at least for 3-4 hours to cold soak them if it is really cold.

Fishon,
    Kerosene works well and maybe a little better than gas for a flush out, since it has some lube qualities at very cold temps. But you don't see as much kerosene around as you used to. When I was a kid we always had a couple drums full out in the shed.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Clean off all the liquid lube and use a little dry lube like graphite or moly then leave the gun out in the cold while hunting. Don't bring it into a warm area for the night as any snow/ice will melt and run into the works and refreeze when taken back outside and it won't work no matter what lube. If you are going to use a liquid lube, use it very sparingly like put a couple drops on your fingers and wipe the places you think need lube. Put it on light enough you can't see any oil just the lightest of film.