Thread: Hope Recreation Area

Default Hope Recreation Area

Spent a few hours dredging in the Hope recreational mining area on Ressurrection River this weekend. Results were very poor, with similar results from other fellows camped down there. All of us had one thing in common: we were set up and dredging right along the shoreline. After thinking about it, I think that was our big mistake: every dredger for the last 30 yrs has worked the shoreline over real good, multiple-multiple times. It would be better to move off away a good 15' or 20' or so, towards the center of the stream, and avoid the temptation to work what is easiest to reach. All my worst days have been in re-working somebody else's old dredge hole.
    And...I'd also think twice about dredging behind a big boulder, despite all the books out there that say that's a great spot for gold to settle. Because, again, all the dredgers in the last 30 yrs have hit all the spots behind the big boulders...multiple times...
    Just "IMO"...

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

You have a good point. I have seen this many times at places like Crow Creek Mine or the old GPAA Mills Creek claim. So many people find the easiest diggings and start shoveling.
    I think sometimes you need to work a spot for a while before you see results too. So many people do one or two test pans off the top and move on. Sometimes 20+ minutes of digging can put you close enough to bedrock to find stuff the average weekender feels is too much work to get at.
    One time at Mills I spent a day digging with a friend and running our material through the highbanker. We moved a lot of material working on that hillside. The next time I went up I found more gold than before moving way less than 1/2 the material but gettting down to an old bedrock chute and cleaning it as best I could as I moved along. It isn't always there the first day but if you stick with it and find some bedrock or false bedrock you can find some good color or even a few nuggets.
    I have a trip planned for the holiday weekend and I am thinking about going to Crow Creek Mine with the fiancee and the 11 year old. hopefully we can find an area that hasn't been worked out. Going to bring my highbanker and see what we can find.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Man, I need to find some color with the kids soon!! Keep us updated how you do, Chris...

Well did you go Chris? I just havent had the time to get out this year, kinda wondering how its going at Crow. If you did go... is the landslide area clear from last year or does he still have it taped off/ no go?

Quote Originally Posted by 97Fxds View Post
    Well did you go Chris? I just havent had the time to get out this year, kinda wondering how its going at Crow. If you did go... is the landslide area clear from last year or does he still have it taped off/ no go?
    Yes I went. We didn't find a whole lot just a littlt flakes and fines.
    We were trying out a hidden area within area # 1 I had wanted to prospect for awhile.We ended up pretty well rockbound in our hole witch sombody else had started and we really wanted to finnish. Unfortunately we got so rockbound with big stuff we gave up right after it started raining @4:00pm.
    My Highbanker was working good though and the area we were in was hidden enough we weren't harrassed by tourists all day.
    The main buildings area was in good shape and the trails were just like I remembered.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"