Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost on topic, truck overheated when trying to pull the boat to Valdez, Truckthread

Default Almost on topic, truck overheated when trying to pull the boat to Valdez, Truckthread

Apologies tor the thin connection to the topic. Truck is a 2003 Chevy Silverado, Aleyseka pipeling veteran with 200K mi 6.6 turbo, Allison auto tranny.
    Anyone willing to talk about how to best be able to haul a 19ft bayboat to valdez without incident?

May be as simple as a stuck thermostat...or get the radiators flushed..

Changed thermostat, changed coolant. Thermostats worked in hot water bath on stove but changed them anyway. Radiator is clean inside and out. Truck runs well unless under the load of pulling the boat.

Check the fan clutch.

straight up bolt on fan no clutch.

Check to see if it is making oil. Diesel/water in the oil. Oil cooler/leaking injector/transfer pump type issue.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Are u using any coolant.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

all is well there. I am wondering if the transmission may need re-programming. Perhaps aleyeska did a computer tune for fuel economy that is hurting towing? I get 24 mpg

If you have room add an electric fan and run a switch to the dash to turn it on and off as needed while towing. Also, its possible that you have a bubble or blockage in the block, you may need to have the system flushed and add all new stuff. You might also want to make sure that your radiator isnt blocked (full of bugs or dirt). How hard are you working it going up the hills?

Had the same type issue while towing and climbing with my RV. Things that helped,, engine oil cooler,, the largest Trans cooler I could install. These made it possible but still had to be careful,, changed the radiator to a much larger model rated for towing and no longer have any issues.

+1 for checking the fan clutch,, they will start to free wheel as they fail and are fairly cheap to replace.

Good luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Do you still have on your cold front???? I forgot to take mine off one day while towing my boat and my temps were spiking bad.

Default Getting Hot

I've seen the water pump impeller spin on the shaft and/or start to fall off the shaft on the 6.6 LB7. That's one place to look. Some guys tack weld the impeller onto the shaft of the new pump to prevent this from happening. Also, at 200k miles, It's likely time for head gaskets. I would have a technician inspect the cooling system for combustion gasses caused by a leaking head gasket and rule that out before you go very far with a cooling system diagnosis.

By the way, your pickup does have a fan clutch and at 200k, it's probably not engaging like it should. If it's working right, it should engage and get noisy when the engine comes up to temp. You should definitely hear it when it engages. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    I've seen the water pump impeller spin on the shaft and/or start to fall off the shaft on the 6.6 LB7. That's one place to look. Some guys tack weld the impeller onto the shaft of the new pump to prevent this from happening. Also, at 200k miles, It's likely time for head gaskets. I would have a technician inspect the cooling system for combustion gasses caused by a leaking head gasket and rule that out before you go very far with a cooling system diagnosis.

By the way, your pickup does have a fan clutch and at 200k, it's probably not engaging like it should. If it's working right, it should engage and get noisy when the engine comes up to temp. You should definitely hear it when it engages. Good luck
    Coaldust is right on the money....if the fan was a direct drive the noise would drive you crazy, the engine would never heat up, and your fuel mileage would be no where near 24 mpg.

Double check that they did not drop a piece of cardboard between the intercooler and radiator. Push some air or water from the back of the radiator to the front and see if blows thru, this is to ensure any debris comes out instead of pushing it deeper. Next would then suspect the water pump.

Thanks all, I am following up on the fan clutch, next and making yet another test run today. Likely I was ust pushing too hard believing that the old girl was capable of more than was reasonable. I have replaced the thermostats, coolant (blead the line at the thermo housing) powerwashed the radiator to be certain that there was nothing blocking airflow. My first thought had been waterpump but Ihave not had one fail with out noise or leaking.

Today is my last day of R&R before I return to the pipeline for 8 weeks of long days, I am hoping to put the boat in the water and learn what else I need to work on when I am off next time off.

Get a DODGE!

Can't help with your specific problem, but I guarantee that Alyeska did NOT reprogram your tranny. But, they did beat the living snot out of that truck before they retired it to "someone else's problem". Trucks are surplussed from Alyeska once they start costing too much in repairs. BTW, Alyeska doesn't employ any vehicle mechanics. All their maint work is done by ASRC-Houston mechanics out of Fairbanks. All trucks are fleet, off the line, and they run them right out of the box. Anything that is wrong with the truck is due to a worn out or broken OEM part.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

This particular truck lived on terminal in Valdez prior to retirement as a teamster truck and was never used on the line or by security. The policy has indeed changed as regards retiring individual trucks they are now retiring many based on age and miles. There are some good trucks in the upcomming auction that have aged out. I believe that I have found the source of the problem. I am opening the TAPs to retrain the tranny We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Get a DODGE!
    If you have an older dodge there radiators and intercoolers get plugged up with oil from the blow by tube.... caused lots of trucks to overheat...

Slope trucks and pipeline trucks get the snot beaten out of them...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Fan clutchdid the trick. I finally made the trip with the boat to Valdez no problems at all. It is all learning curve. I had the same issue earlier in life with some older cars but had forgotten how much the fan clutches can fool you that they are working when they are weak.

Thanks All,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Get a DODGE!
    Really? Mine was overheating all weekend pulling a 12 foot zodiac on a snowmachine trailer.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast