Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Calling

Post Moose Calling

Fairly new to moose hunting. I was hoping to get some infomation on calling. When its best to call, early or late in the season, when its best to crash brush, timing between calls, length of call, ect. and/or if there is somewhere I could go to find out more information on calling. I drew a tag this year after 5 years of putting in, and just trying to prep as much as I can, in hopes of a successful harvest. Thanks!

I'm sure many others will chime in here to tell you more, but here's some initial info:

- most times, calling less is calling-more (i.e., better)
    - Better late in the season than early.
    - And there are few bigger rushes in the world than when a cow and bull both respond to your sounds, and both come on in (which you hear, because they're answering back).
    - Don't concentrate entire on calls. I use a "bull magnet" call, but there are many stories of moose coming to the sounds of a hatchet (beat the heck out of a tree with the bull magnet), which you can imitate with a bull magnet type of call.

The best success is done one on one, so good luck, and many moose to you.

Here is an old thread that I dug up for you that will answer some of your questions.

It's an oldy but a goody.

Good luck to you.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Calling-Moose

Great thread Northriver posted,, just be reminded that electronic calls were banned for moose hunting a few years ago. I have had great luck in the late season,, and breaking brush is a powerful technique. The main thing is patience, I try to work good areas at least a few days. The last few falls have been pretty warm so before day light and until dark,, but have had them show up at high noon!!!

Here is a video for some proof that calling works.

Good luck on your tag,,nothing like calling in a hot bull giving you the BIG EYE.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

There are a lot of moose hunting videos out there. And they show different techniques.

When you see a moose locally, consider trying the various techniques. If you do this:
    1) think about your safety and the safety of others before calling (warning: you don't want to be in the potential path of a moose or have an unaware trail user that is pushing a children's stroller come upon an agitated or aroused bull).
    2) then try various moose calls and observe the moose's reaction.

Thanks to all, for the help. Northriver great thread, and stid2677 very cool video. Last year out with a buddy we just used and moose call we picked up from sportsmans and some sheds to crash brush. Is that the best method to go about crashing? Or is there something better, not sure what the bull magnet is that was mentioned in the previous thread. Thanks again!

Default Bull Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by AKDiesel View Post
    not sure what the bull magnet is that was mentioned in the previous thread. Thanks again!
    Merely a fiberglass megaphone that allows you to both magnify and better-direct your calls; you still have to make the right sound yourself. It's also good for "chopping" at tree trunks to imitate brush-crashing. The many anecdotal stories of moose coming to the sound of a hatchet chopping wood are likely true.

I saw a video (was it "Love, Thunder, Bull" ?) that showed a guy using the bull magnet and the bulls he brought with it.

I just checked, and both are offered for sale by this web site's online store. See them here:

Bull Magnet

Love, Thunder & Bull

I called in both of these bulls last fall off the Yukon. Calling DOES work! And yes, you must be patient!

Yukon Moose hunt 2010 162.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Family man, thanks for the post. I got on last night and ordered those videos, and after looking into noticed the call I have is a bull magnet, I just did not know that was the name of it. Looking forward to getting the love, thunder and bulls videos in and viewing them. Again, thank you for your help. Pike-palace great pics!

You bet, Diesel. I guarantee you will love that video. And the rush you get the first time you fool a moose into thinking you're one of their own is quite special. Heck, it'd be fun even if ya left the gun behind and took a camera instead.... Oh wait, I love a good steak too!

Post up what you think, after you watch it, please.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I called in both of these bulls last fall off the Yukon. Calling DOES work! And yes, you must be patient!

Yukon Moose hunt 2010 162.jpg
    How come you have a string tied to your hat in the first picture?

To get good rake with those magnets stuff a t-shirt or somthing in it first. Otherwise it sounds like a koolaid pitcher being banged on a tree.

Listen for the smallest noise after making a call I'm convinced bulls are inherently lazy and would rather you came to them I called the same spot morning and night for three days all I got back was two antler clunks on a tree but the evening of the 4th day a 58 inch bull was laying on the spot I had been cow calling, he was tasty in the spagetti tonight.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default chop, don't whop

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    To get good rake with those magnets stuff a t-shirt or somthing in it first. Otherwise it sounds like a koolaid pitcher being banged on a tree.
    Don't whop the side of the megaphone against a trunk or it will sound like that. Use the larger end as a hatchet, chopping into the trunk (like at a 45 degree angle, down) of mid sized trees, and if possible snapping off a few little dried out dead twigs on the way down. I find chopping at pines that have some dead 1/4 inch branches work best. When you're done, you should see some damage done to the tree bark, so move on to another tree before you kill the first one.

I'm sure there's better callers out there than I, so listen to all advice and then do whatever you want until you get an answer back from a real moose; that's when you'll know you're doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    How come you have a string tied to your hat in the first picture?
    lol, no string. Just my headlamp. Blame the camera for that one.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Save your money and just use an old plastic oil can and a stick. Called in several bulls with the one in the photo, including the Bulls in the video.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

My personal favorite is a dried caribou scapula they sound great and if you lose it it's not litter
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

moose.jpg

I've had good success using the coffee can/shoestring. One thing I would add to the advice already given is to be careful. This bull came after me. I dropped him with a shot in the face at about 20'. Best time to call in my experience is after the 15th of September in South Central Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Merely a fiberglass megaphone that allows you to both magnify and better-direct your calls; you still have to make the right sound yourself. It's also good for "chopping" at tree trunks to imitate brush-crashing. The many anecdotal stories of moose coming to the sound of a hatchet chopping wood are likely true.

I saw a video (was it "Love, Thunder, Bull" ?) that showed a guy using the bull magnet and the bulls he brought with it.

I just checked, and both are offered for sale by this web site's online store. See them here:

Bull Magnet

Love, Thunder & Bull
    Pick up this video, it's got everything you need to know about calling moose. Actually, the one I have maybe Love, Thunder and Bulls II. I can't remember for sure, but I think even Walmart has them. What ever you do, don't sweat it. It's not rocket science. I've had bull moose come into my camp in Sept. from the sound of chopping up firewood while on a fishing trip. When they're in full on rut, it doesn't take a whole lot of percision calling to bring them in.

calling is what its all about. the satisfaction factor is something that truly remains long after the hunt.
    regular coffee or 2lb stew can w/moss has worked fine for me.
    the only other advice i'd add to the thread would be not to call from your camp
    nothing more spooky then a really mad bull snorting and ripping up the brush outside your tent in the dark
    (not that this has ever happened to me)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast