Thread: Rock Snot in Alaska!

Unhappy Rock Snot in Alaska!

Well, its here. Saltery River on Kodiak island is covered in the stuff. Every couple of cast and you have to pull the fibrous stuff off of your line. The entire river bed is covered with the stuff. This river is fished heavily by out of staters so I am not surprised it has been infected. It looks like the felt sole ban is day late.

that sucks! and what is worse i would bet that you will still see people wearing felt soles if you pay attention i have seen a few at the russian, kasilof, and kenai just in the last two weeks

Of course you have seen people wearing felt its not band yet till next year.

lmao. yeah monk2015 the band is not till next year. I hate when im walking next to people and they see my felt and start talking about it. look at the **** date before you start assuming

They might not be talking about because of the ban but rather how it might affect your fishery.
    Now that I have seen this stuff, I am sure it will have a negative affect on our fisheries. The stream has a carpet of of this stuff on it. I am sure that it will overtake spawning areas in the future.

I fish the White River in north Arkansas. Snot is real bad there at times over the last 5 or 6 years. Lately, because of all the flooding, the dam (Bull Shoals) has been releasing alot of water so it kind of clears it out for awhile. I have made the switch to hard soles about 4 years ago. Locally I fish alot of streams (trout, smallmouth, etc). Hate to see that stuff get a foothold because of me.

sorry my mistake on the date of the ban i was told that it went into effect this year. still with seeing these pictures i would urge everyone to make the transition if for nothing else to help protect the fisheries for the future.

I have a question.
    I bought felt soles 2 years ago here in AK. Ive only ever used them here in AK.
    Should I make the switch now? Whether I spend the money on new shoes tomorrow or in 6 months doesnt really change much for me.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    I have a question.
    I bought felt soles 2 years ago here in AK. Ive only ever used them here in AK.
    Should I make the switch now? Whether I spend the money on new shoes tomorrow or in 6 months doesnt really change much for me.
    The concern isnt just using them in one state. The theory is that each drainage has its own unique life, this includes bacteria and parasites as well as fish etc. Those parasites get carried from one drainage to another in the felt since it is porous, kind of like a sponge you leave in the bottom of the sink.

If it were me I would just change em out. It gives you an excuse to get something new and youll be early in compliance with the new regs. You win and the water wins.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Don't take this wrong as I don't mind the ban - I think it will help - but don't think that removing felt will fully solve the problem. Avid fisherman will still travel with wet boots/laces and crud stuck in soles that could transport from place to place. Your soles aren't as porous anymore but the boot still is and if people are flying around they'll put their boots in bags so as not to get other stuff wet, but it will help retain water and parasites for longer periods of time.

An improvement, yes...but not the full solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon-Thirty-Salmon View Post
    Don't take this wrong as I don't mind the ban - I think it will help - but don't think that removing felt will fully solve the problem. Avid fisherman will still travel with wet boots/laces and crud stuck in soles that could transport from place to place. Your soles aren't as porous anymore but the boot still is and if people are flying around they'll put their boots in bags so as not to get other stuff wet, but it will help retain water and parasites for longer periods of time.

An improvement, yes...but not the full solution.
    The upper portion is still porous but I think the theory is that it is not as hospitable an environment as the felt on the soles is. I wouldn't mind seeing a comparison or study done on the upper portion of rubber soled waders.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

FYI, didymo or rock snot is native to many Alaskan streams, including the Kenai River watershed.

Has it been confirmed that it is in fact didymo? Could be a filamentous algae.

Just wondering?????

ClearCreek

Default Kodiak Didymo Comfirmed!

Spoke with ADF&G today and they confirmed that it is an outbreak of Didymo. Yes, there are some forms of Didymo native to AK but the problem is with the invasive forms that are completely covering river bottoms such as the case in Saltery Creek on Kodiak. This is the most fished river for out of staters on the road system so I am not really surprised it showed up here. I am really disappointe though.

Sad to say, I bet it's already in the American too, whether widespread or not. I see lots of guys hop off their quads to fish the American for kings on their way back from Saltery. Done deal I'd say. Figure some of them might then hop into their trucks for a side trip to the Olds or stop at the Buskin, and I bet it's a done deal there too. Sad, but the barn door is open and the horse is disappearing over the horizon.

you cant fault them, I have done it myself. I am sure most folks would have never given it second thought. I just happened to have read up on the stuff and that is the only way I knew what it was.

I hope that our constant floods will keep it at a minimum and our fisheries can overcome it.

No fault intended. Just the facts of life with lots of folks moving around, whether visitors or locals.

If you want to see what the potential is, take a look at New Zealand. They're in a fight for the life of their rivers down there.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    FYI, didymo or rock snot is native to many Alaskan streams, including the Kenai River watershed.
    BN2FSH is correct that it is a native species is found in almost all Alaskan watersheds in low densities. The question is what allows the Didymo populations to get out of control and form the "Rock Snot" we think of. Some good research on what allows Didymo to go out of control in some Alaskan systems is being done at UAA.

Is there anyway to get rid of it? or can we expect the road system to have it from now on?

Does it resist a basic mild bleach soak in felt soles?