Thread: Kasilof and Russian

Default Kasilof and Russian

Can anyone tell me where to concentrate my efforts when I am down in the Kenai area? I am leaning toward hiking up the Russian so my wife and kids can come with me and not be in the middle of the combat. I have heard that the fishing is decent in the Kasilof near the campground we will be in. I know no one wants to give up their best secrets but just some guidance would be nice. I will have my wife my 3 year old and my one year old. Dont worry we are pretty rough. Thanks in advance

Default When will you be there?

Quote Originally Posted by fish2live View Post
    Can anyone tell me where to concentrate my efforts when I am down in the Kenai area? I am leaning toward hiking up the Russian so my wife and kids can come with me and not be in the middle of the combat. I have heard that the fishing is decent in the Kasilof near the campground we will be in. I know no one wants to give up their best secrets but just some guidance would be nice. I will have my wife my 3 year old and my one year old. Dont worry we are pretty rough. Thanks in advance
    You need to specify when you will be in those areas before anyone can give you a good answer.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Timing is everything

I would agree that if we knew the time frame you would be on the Kenai peninsula, we could help you much better.

That being said, I am leaning towards recomending the Kasilof based on the age of your children. The campground at Crooked Creek is great for families, and the fishing can be superb at certain times of the year at the confluence of Crooked Creek and the Kasilof. Esp in early June! Hint hint...

Not that it can't be done, but I would think that hiking in bear country (Russian) with two very small children may not be the better choice of the two places. Just my opinion.

-sc

Default good advice

i would have to agree with charlie on this one.... the russian river isn't a hike for 3 year olds, or one year olds for that matter. the hike along the river turns a little trecherous once you get out of the crowds, and the trail that takes you to the falls is groomed but a little long for a three year old. i'm sure your kids are tough, but i would advise against the russian with the family; there's just too much that can go wrong (bears, hooks flying around, foul weather, swift water w/ steep banks, mosquitos, trail conditons, etc..). the kasilof is a bit more family friendly, but it's a completely different type of fishery. i'd rather be on the russian any day, but not with 2 toddlers.
    Mark W

the russian river has a ton of people anywhere its open for salmon in june, the exception being the canyon section which is pretty hard to fish.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Kasilof.

With small kids the Kasilof would be my choice, the first run of Kings peak around June 10th we like to fish 2hrs on each side of high tide then Clam dig depending on how low the tide gets. I promise the kids will like the razor clam digging over the fishing at that age. Mine sure did & Clam Gulch is just down the road.

you must be a resident to dig razor clams correct? Just food for thought

What one needs to dig is a sport fishing license if your from out of state. Watch your limit if you go (60 per person.)

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    you must be a resident to dig razor clams correct? Just food for thought
    Nope. Non-residents can dig for clams as well.

-Brian

oh cool I thought it was personal use