Thread: Headed to Kodiak friday

Default Headed to Kodiak friday

As the title says headed to Kodiak, on friday will be there from 3-9, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Planning on trying to hit some of the rivers on the road system willing to backpack out to some places if there is fishing. Can not afford a fly out trip.

Is that 3:00PM to 9:00PM? If so, that is a short trip and I would stick with fishing the buskin river. There are still a good number of reds in the river but they can be tough this time of year. THe dollies are heading back up the rivers so you might find some of those too.

sorry i was unclear i will be there from the 3rd of july to the 9th of july

OK, that is better. I would still fish the Buskin. Make a trip to Pasagshak. You should be here during the peak of that run. If you really
    feel energetic and want to back pack in, you can do the 16 mile hike back to saltery. I have seen folks hike it in. You may be able to hitch a ride too. I know if I ran across someone half way there I would probably give them a lift.
    Oh, I forgot about the hatchery kings in the Olds, American, and Manashka watersheds.

Good luck!

Buskin and pasagshak have been a little slow lately for sockeye but that could always change as pasagshak peaks in early july and the buskin sometimes has a late run. If your willing to hike I would recomend trying some of the stocked trout lakes there is some very good fishing with very little pressure although a float tube is needed to fly fish some of them. The length of your stay is prime time for the hatchery kings at monoshka, olds and american. While the latter two have good river fishing I would highly recomend trying the beaches especially monoshka as the kings are so much more aggressive in the ocean and have way more room to give you an epic battle. Caught this one saturday morning

Good job, B!

Did I hear something about a closure in Monashka? Secondhand, and I dunno.

If so, they're tight in the corner out in Kalsin, easy casting reach of shore on the incoming tide. Lots, ranging from around 10 up to 25 or so. Funny thing, we haven't got a single jack yet even though we're tapping out with fair regularity.

Interesting thing, we saw several sets of wakes (not single fish, but small schools) cruising the flats off the river mouth in Middle Bay on Saturday morning with the incoming tide. Didn't have time to investigate, but it looked like a golden op to stalk and cast to cruising fish. I'd guess they'll be in the river any minute, if they aren't already. Haven't seen the same yet in Kalsin.

Dropped the annual for monashka to 2 and I believe it is one daily..

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    Dropped the annual for monashka to 2 and I believe it is one daily..
    I just signed back on for a correction, and you beat me to it. Thanks!

I was waiting till 8 to talk to ADF&G and they confirmed that: One over 20" and 1 under in the salt, while you can still catch 10 under 20" in fresh along with 1 over. They said right now they're not really worried about #'s of fish, but want to play it safe for the time being to assure they get enough brood stock this year, after the last two years of challenges. There appear to be plenty of fish in Monashka, but the city has water levels down in the creek at the moment, and the kings just aren't coming in yet. All should change with a good rain and more flow in the creek.

Meanwhile yes, it's very good fishing in all three bays.

Fished the buskin today 4july saw a few reds going to try the morning high tide at the manaska then maybe head out toward the pasagshak. Worked up the buskin today for some dollies and bows watched a few chase my fly (pink revolution) but as soon as they got to it the would turn away. Maybe better luck tomorrow. Thank you all for the tips this has been an amazing vacation so far

Glad youve had a good time....... I may see you out at monoshka or pasagshak tomorrow morning.... If you see a blue hyundai elantra or a red and black 74 chevy pickup with a pontoon boat in the bed thats me..... wherever i end up going ill be there first light which is 4 am i believe

Get out to Saltry if you can... It is pretty hot right now..

Talked to guy at cy's said he did not recommend me taking my car down the as he said "road"/atv trail thinking about hiking in but it would probably take me two days to get there as the wifes daily limit on hiking mileage is around nine or ten. So thinking about hiking up to some of the lakes closer to the road system and going after some bows. Fished the monashka this morning was the only person out there. Saw a few jump but did not hook into any then hit the pasagshak this afternoon caught a ton of sculpin a personal first, saw two maybe three reds landed in the four hours I was there. Still can not get over the scenery on this island it is amazing!

Fished the olds for the last two days got a really nice hen yesterday and a couple of jacks today. One of the jacks was my first on a fly I tied. Might hit it again tomorrow before I have to catch the ferry back to homer. Wanted to say thank you to everyone for helping me make this an awesome trip. Will post pics but not till I get back to anchorage

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0173.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	50905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0221.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	50906 Not the biggest kings ever but my first one, so i am excited. The other picture was one of the dollies i got while fishing the olds, was chasing kings, and kept catching dollies. Not that i am complaining, better than nothing at all