Thread: Mauser bolt gets hard to open???

Default Mauser bolt gets hard to open???

I finished a custom Mauser and had a new barrel installed and the action squared and bolt bent. I bought a kit and glass bedded it into the stock per directions. I loaded up some rounds and went to the range with some handloads and after about 20 various loads the bolt would get tricky to open. There were no signs of over pressure from using near max published data. After cleaning it at home it did the same thing unloaded. What should I look for? Could bedding and then tightening up the action screws cause this by stressing the action? I can't find any areas on the bolt that show wear from binding.
    Also, does anyone know if a 0.10 (ten thousandths) shim under the rear scope mount will really raise the point of impact 10 inches at 100 yards? I ran out of elevation adjustment and am still 7 inches low.

I would check to make sure that the scope base screws and the actions screws aren't extending into the bolt area. I have seen this happen more than once.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I would check to make sure that the scope base screws and the actions screws aren't extending into the bolt area. I have seen this happen more than once.

Steve
    If all was right before you mounted the base then I'd check that. Could be something else, but first things first...check the screws.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

What Stid said, unless it works fine until you fire some rounds thru it. Are you shooting different loads at the range? If that is the case try one load at a time and see how that is. Might have to back off on the powder if only certain loads due it.