Thread: $800,ooo. available to benefit personal use fisheries

Default $800,ooo. available to benefit personal use fisheries

I was told yesterday by an adfg biologist that 4,000 personal use permit reports were not returned for the 2010 season. He stated the fine for not reporting is $200.00, with little or no enforcement. If this was enforced we would have close to a million dollars to help mitigate some of the impacts of the fishery, and possibly more accurate reporting of actual harvest.

Approximately 85% of permits are returned so Fish and game can extrapolate the numbers for the final tally. That said, when I apply for a moose permit and don't turn it in,I can be banned from applying the next year. Why not with the dipnet fishery? Because Walmart does not have a roster of who turned in what the year before. If we made the applying for a permit to be done at fish and game, it might be possible but logistics are just not possible. There is also a problem with the bail schedule. You can be banned the next year or fined but not both. The state law office has a problem either or, possibly, two different standards.
    Funny you should mention this cause I just got off the phone Friday with enforcement and they are scratching their heads too.
    Just Remember, the $$$$ goes into the general fund, not towards dipping.
    Take $$ from dippers and then have the House President, Mike C., just give $$ to the Kasilof/Cohoe community council and all four of their followers, for a community neighborhood watch program, to police those same dippers? That council is already on record of wanting the dipnet fishery to go away and still have $150,000 thousand designated through this years State budget. Why give the politicians more $$ to waste somewhere where it is not needed. Mike C. is pissing away yours and my $$. Why give them anymore?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

It appears the bios numbers of unreturned reports are similar to yours.
    You state that it would take money from the dippers and be used to police those same dippers. I would rather say the money would be taken from unlawful dippers to be used to police unlawful, unethical dippers.
    This could go a long way to appease those such as the Kasilof/Cohoe comm. council.
    Yes the moneis would go into the general fund,but the fact that it was generated from the pu fishery could be used as leverage to direct it towards the p/u fishery.

Tis a good thought but I am jaded. Politics is what runs the game, not comman sense. The Kasilof community council and all four of their followers are not wanting improvements down there. They don't want DNR to create any positive steps like the special use area. They are claiming it is a government land grab and dogwalkers will have to pay a fee to walk the beach. Both of those are untrue but continue to be spread by gossip. I worked with seven or so 20 and 30 year Kasilof residents putting up that guardrail last month on the south beach and none of them supported the council.
    Do you also understand the amount of enforcement that would be needed to go after these non reporting idiots? The bail schedule would also need to be revised because as it stands now, there are two ways to go, as I stated previously. The prosecuters office is hesitant to go after these folks because of the two different ways that it could be enforced.
    I wish there would be a mandatory reporting requirement but as it stands, with no enforcement, it does not become mandatory, only on paper. You would think a couple of tickets and the word would spread. I would think so but the state is not enforcing what is already on the books. Go figure!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

You know, I sent in my dipnet report last october in an envelope to the fish and game to make sure they got it. It was all bent up and did not figure it would get there. I got a letter in november saying they did not get my dip net report. So, I sent them another and kept a copy. Dont know if they got it either. So, their procedure is flawed. Maybe it is the mail service or something. Anyhow I would be pissed if I got a fine when I sent the report in and they said they did not get it. Something is wrong with their collection procedure. Just my 2 cents.
    Jswor

Just as in the hunting regs, it is up to you to see that they get the returned information. Saying the post office lost it is like saying the dog ate my homework. Get a hunting permit and don't return it, you get blackballed from next years drawing. Simple as that. You are also liable for a fine too.
    I, too, have sent in my permit info and been sent a letter saying they never received it. I blame the post office but still resend my info in. If the state sent out a roster with all names that didn't send back the completed permit to all vendors, that would possibly work but a denial of getting that years permit does not raise funds, it just keeps the non-reporters from dipping. The whole system needs to be revamped but maybe online reporting would help get the needed info, but no fines levied.

Default online reporting

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    The whole system needs to be revamped but maybe online reporting would help get the needed info, but no fines levied.
    And that's why you're the big guy of dipnetting.

Online reporting would be a wonderful addition to F&G's already strong arsenal. I use it for reporting my hunting permits, and always save a copy of the completed report number, though they've never that the dog ate the "email" yet.

An even better reason to go online is that most dipnet cards are poorly readable anyway. I posted mine here on this forum last year as an example of how unreadable they can become, despite good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    An even better reason to go online is that most dipnet cards are poorly readable anyway
    Didja notice they gave us less room to record our catches this year? What's up with that?

~tr

Default unbelievable...

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Didja notice they gave us less room to record our catches this year? What's up with that?

~tr
    What'r they thinkin' ?!?!

No, I haven't gotten mine this year because I'm only doing the Kenai this year so my trip is still weeks away. I better get on it though; some years they run out of them.

The mainstream of my post a year ago here on this issue is that they need MORE room to record catches; my card last year had some catches reported in the margins and such. I really don't want a ticket and I do want to abide by the law; that's why every catch is recorded before I move away from the site they were caught, and every fin is clipped before they're put in a closed cooler - Every Time. I find it surprising how many dipnetters on the beach are unaware of these two most-basic rules.

As long as I've already hijacked the question asked by the OP, I should add that I'm really excited about that Dipnet Protector to bag up all my 5 foot net hoops together this year; no more snagging on every darn thing in sight during transport anymore. I've never solved such a nagging problem for only 30-some bucks before.

Tony, this is going to become a young man's game soon enough. Those of us needing glasses will just have to ask the youngster near us to record our catches, for us. That said, I noticed that both of us put on our respective glasses at almost the same time during the last BOF. Your boat is my boat, Sorry to say!!!!

Default I love it!

Your boat is my boat, Sorry to say!!!!
    Su barco es mi barco, lo siento!

I don't speak Arizonian but what you said must translate to, " yea, join the club" I'm guessing?

Default Not so fast...

Tony, this is going to become a young man's game soon enough...
    "As my days, so shall my strength be..."

~tr