Thread: 300 rem saum for brown bear and moose

Default 300 rem saum for brown bear and moose

I will be doing a moose and brown bear combo hunt in unit 13 in sept. i am planning on bringing a rem model 7 in 300 saum. im shooting nosler custom ammo with 200gr partions. would like any imput on my gun and catrige choice. thanks

My son took this bear when he was 14, he used his 300 saum model 7, and hand loaded 180 gr X bullets!...you won't have any problem with well placed shots!...

Yup, shouldn't have any issues! Dang ramhunter, how big is that bear?? VERY NICE!

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    My son took this bear when he was 14, he used his 300 saum model 7, and hand loaded 180 gr X bullets!...you won't have any problem with well placed shots!...
    OMG that thing is huge! COngrats on the bear and the gun and the son.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Yup, shouldn't have any issues! Dang ramhunter, how big is that bear?? VERY NICE!
    That bear squared 10 ft, skull was 28" and some change........

That thing is a beauty and huge! Congrats to your son and you!!!

A few more.........

I normally use a 300 WSM w/180 gr bearclaws, your setup is really close. Every moose and black shot with that load went down right there. Course, it had a little to do with shot placement, but the lower recoil and accuracy just gives you confidence. Only real suggestion would be to practice out to your comfortable long range limit every couple of weeks before your hunt. And if your Remington is one with the nice wood, use a good stock wax inside the barrel channel as well as on the outside of the stock. We gets wet up here during moose season. I even got snowed out of moose camp in the 90's once! Come up and enjoy!

Chris

My brother and I will be up in Homer in September also. Going on our first black bear hunt and first trip to Alaska. We'll both be carrying 30.06 with 180 grain Swift A Frame ammo. I feel sure these rifles will work on black bear, I just hope they will work on anything else that might get angry with us up there.

I've witnessed 4 different brown/grizzlys killed with a 300 saum. Decent shot Placement and you will have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    A few more.........

That is a fantastic bear congrats to you and your son wow!!!