Thread: Kasilof River Happenings

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Kasilof River Happenings

Took the mini-drifter down to Coho Cove Saturday with the wife.Got on the water at 5:00 am with high hopes of big kings and some sockeye dancing in our heads.It was raining just a little bit but that didn't dampen our spirits at all.Rowed up from the launch to the hole below the island and put out spin-n-glo's with eggs.And waited for the bite to get going.
    About 6:30 some of the guided boats started working down to where we were.One got down river about 40 yards from us and "fish on".They landed a 20 pound king and our hopes and anticipation grew higher still.
    We shuffled around several times ,looking to find "the slot" ,and to try to stay out of the way of the guides boats.The majority of the guides were fishing eggs and S-N-G's thoough a few were running plugs.By 10 am we'd seen maybe 6 hook-ups with 4 fish landed.
    High tide Saturday was around 1:30 pm so as noon approached we were getting anxious to get some action ourselves.Between 12:30 and 1:00 o'clock ,3 seperate guided boats hooked up with kings that looked to be between 20 and 30 lbs each.We never had a bite.We tried several different combinations of colors,several different egg cures.and even pulled plugs for awhile but it was not our day to catch a fish.But I guess that's fishing.(I really hate to say that) but oh well.........
    All in all, we saw about a dozen kings caught and a few more than that hooked and lost.I'd say that's a pretty good day.I felt bad for my wife cause she hasn't caught a king since 2009,but we will try again next Tuesday.Hopefully we can have the right combination and we will get to feel
    the burn of a big king tugging on our lines.Maybe if we hold our mouths just right the stars will align and we can make it happen.
    One other comment---there seemed to be a serious lack of sockeye movement compared to last Thursday when we were there.Maybe nets were getting them at the mouth,maybe dippers were having a great day.Don't know for sure --but I did notice a huge difference between the two days.I hope those dipping did good,but choose not to do that anymore myself.
    It was a good day on the water even if we didn't hook-up.The guides were very courteous,the rain stopped after a bit,and the sun even came out in the afternoon.Plus several people did catch fish.It just wasn't us.......Still,any day on the river beats a day at work.Good luck to all......
    Mark

Yeah I didnt see much action from the reds at all down there. I did however see a guy lose two in a span of 20 minutes. One was very good looking. I didnt have any luck down there either but like you said a day fishing sure beats a day at work.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Mark I think I was on the first guide boat to pass you. My buddy hooked up right below you and netted a 50lb one.

That's awesome for him.From what I could see it looked to be a dynamite fish.Would'a been nice if we all could catch such a fish.My most recent great fish was a 60 lbs king off the bank of the Kenai in 2007.That was way cool.
    Did you get any pictures of you buddies fish Saturday ?Post em up........

Do not know how to post pics, do you? I could email my buddies and my wife's 25#er to you.

Good to see ya down there, wish the Fish Gods had smiled a little more your way!

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Yeah I didnt see much action from the reds at all down there. I did however see a guy lose two in a span of 20 minutes. One was very good looking. I didnt have any luck down there either but like you said a day fishing sure beats a day at work.

it's pretty hit and miss for reds down there. You pretty much have to be there on the days the numbers are good on the sonar count. And it is hard to know when that will be because of the nets and the comm guys, i haven't figured out the scedual yet. But when there is fish in there it is a blast.

Default How Do You Fish The Tides ?

Several of the guides mentioned that fish would be coming in on the rising tide down on the Kasilof.How important is timing an incoming/outgoing tide when your fishing say, 7 miles from the mouth ? It seemed a common thread/attitude that high tide was the best time to be fishing.Any truth to this or is it just the optomism prevelent---kinda like "just one more cast". Does it really make a difference ?

well this is just my opinion Mark for me, I have had my best luck at the end of out going high tide. 7 miles, I would think it matters. Pretty close to the mouth, tide brings schools in. Now with that being said 7 miles is a lot of water to cover and places to hide for fish. Some go stright up, some sit and rest.

I got down there several hours before high tide and saw a few fish caught just off the gravel bar. This leads me to believe that the fish do hold in there or get in there between tides. When the tide comes in Im sure that is when the larger groups of fish push through though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Several of the guides mentioned that fish would be coming in on the rising tide down on the Kasilof.How important is timing an incoming/outgoing tide when your fishing say, 7 miles from the mouth ? It seemed a common thread/attitude that high tide was the best time to be fishing.Any truth to this or is it just the optomism prevelent---kinda like "just one more cast". Does it really make a difference ?
    Coho is actually about river mile 5 ... and yes, the tides have EVERYTHING to do with catching a lot of fish on a regular basis, especially in a lean year and if you don't want to do laps on a bunch of red dogs in the terminal holes around CC (I personally won't). Timing will vary both my tide size and cycles that the fish seem to be on ... these are the things that those of us there every day will pick up on and are are much tougher for those that just wet a line there every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ball - Piscatorial Pursuits View Post
    if you don't want to do laps on a bunch of red dogs in the terminal holes around CC (I personally won't).
    I saw several guides wearing one section of the river out down there. They would float past it get out and push the boat back up. Looked tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ball - Piscatorial Pursuits View Post
    Coho is actually about river mile 5 ... and yes, the tides have EVERYTHING to do with catching a lot of fish on a regular basis, especially in a lean year and if you don't want to do laps on a bunch of red dogs in the terminal holes around CC (I personally won't). Timing will vary both my tide size and cycles that the fish seem to be on ... these are the things that those of us there every day will pick up on and are are much tougher for those that just wet a line there every so often.
    Thanks for the clarification Bob.Figuing out cycles of fish movement and coordinating tidal flucuations takes time on the water for sure.Unfortunately for me,I don't get to spend as much time out there as I'd like,in fact,I go back to the slope for 3 weeks Friday.But I will be back for the last week of July to give it another go.Hopefully there will still be a few fish to dance with by then.I do appreciate your sharing the knowledge you've aquired with us "rookies".
    Have a great July--see ya in a few weeks.........

I'll be crossing paths with you this winter on the Olympic Peninsula as well .Looking forward to some steelheading in liquid water.
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 06-30-2011 at 11:53. Reason: a little extra